LSD Tranny question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LSD Tranny question

I have an LSD tranny in my car, and if I let off the gas while the car is rolling backward while turning to the right, it causes a pretty severe clunking.

I understand that it could be the helical gears working, but it seems odd that it does it more to the right than the left and when backing up, but not necessarily while going forward. Is this common, and I'm just being paranoid, or is it a sign of things to come?

Other than this one issue, there are no other issues mechanically with it.
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

how did you verify the sound coming from the LSD?

and just to make sure your not talking abuot a transvestite stripper on LSD?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

So there is a clunking when your backing up? Or rolling back (like in neutral on an incline)? Kinda confused how you worded it. It would be obvious to start with the axles and such but i am sure you already looked at those.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
        how did you verify the sound coming from the LSD?

and just to make sure your not talking abuot a transvestite stripper on LSD?

It isn't being caused by the axles, because they have all been replaced, and it is still there. That leaves the tranny.

LOL! And no tranny strippers on LSD.

Nail, let me try to give you a scenario.

I go to back out of a parking spot. I put the car in reverse, and release the clutch enough to get the car going.

I turn the wheels to the right while rolling backward, to get out of the spot, and then I press the clutch in and release the gas, since I don't need anymore power. About that time the diff starts to clunk, as if it is engaging and then disengaging. Now based on the fact that the wheels are turning at different speeds, it could be normal, except that there is no power when it happens.

It clunks more, if the nose is turning to the right than if it is turning to the left. I will have to put it in neutral to see if it still does it, but I am pretty sure it has to do with the diff locking and unlocking. That is why I am not sure if it is normal or not. I can't see Honda designing it that way from a customer standpoint, which is why it concerns me.

All axles are new. Well the IM shaft isn't, but it rotates freely.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
          It isn't being caused by the axles, because they have all been replaced, and it is still there. That leaves the tranny.

LOL! And no tranny strippers on LSD.

Nail, let me try to give you a scenario.

I go to back out of a parking spot. I put the car in reverse, and release the clutch enough to get the car going.

I turn the wheels to the right while rolling backward, to get out of the spot, and then I press the clutch in and release the gas, since I don't need anymore power. About that time the diff starts to clunk, as if it is engaging and then disengaging. Now based on the fact that the wheels are turning at different speeds, it could be normal, except that there is no power when it happens.

It clunks more, if the nose is turning to the right than if it is turning to the left. I will have to put it in neutral to see if it still does it, but I am pretty sure it has to do with the diff locking and unlocking. That is why I am not sure if it is normal or not. I can't see Honda designing it that way from a customer standpoint, which is why it concerns me.

All axles are new. Well the IM shaft isn't, but it rotates freely.
          What kind of axles are they?? If they're autozone, they get returned all the time, because they aren't remanufactured that well.

Comment

Ahh i see. So you are still in gear with clutch in, Hmmm Sometimes when diffs go out you can see the speedo go up in neutral lol. But it could be. Pretty sure you checked trans fluid level and such? Ill get back to you on it if I can think of anything toms.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by wrichards2005
              What kind of axles are they?? If they're autozone, they get returned all the time, because they aren't remanufactured that well.
              Im guessing that since this is owequitit he would have went only oem

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

That doesn't sound normal to me. Especially if its a severe clunk like you say. I have LSD too, though not helical. You might have to pull that diff apart. You are positive about the axles though right? I only say that because sometimes when that axle ring isn't seated in the groove properly it will force itself loose and make a clunking type noise, or it will just pop out completely.

Comment

Originally posted by wrichards2005

LOL! No Autozone parts on my car.

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                    Ahh i see. So you are still in gear with clutch in, Hmmm Sometimes when diffs go out you can see the speedo go up in neutral lol. But it could be. Pretty sure you checked trans fluid level and such? Ill get back to you on it if I can think of anything toms.

The fluid has been checked and replaced, so that isn't the issue. It is the new OEM Honda Greenstuff.

Comment

Originally posted by King James
                      Im guessing that since this is owequitit he would have went only oem

Actually I wish they were OEM. The axles that came out of the manual swap parts car had already been replaced with non-OEM. Since Honda will only give the core on OEM axles, they would have been like $300 a peice. So I went with the next best thing which was NAPA.

Also, the both axles have been replaced within the last month or so, and all joints on the axles were tight and bind free. The first driver's side one I got had been on the shelf for over a year, and somewhere along the line someone had dislocated one of the spider bearings on the inner joint. Took it back and the new one is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by oozingmachismo2
                        That doesn't sound normal to me. Especially if its a severe clunk like you say. I have LSD too, though not helical. You might have to pull that diff apart. You are positive about the axles though right? I only say that because sometimes when that axle ring isn't seated in the groove properly it will force itself loose and make a clunking type noise, or it will just pop out completely.

That is kind of what I was thinking. I will try and drive it around in the lot and see if I can figure out more specific symptoms. I will also see what I can find online.

Comment

IT only does it when you are turning right? Hmm Would you have happened to do an auto-manual swap in your cb? Wasnt sure if your car was previously auto. But sometimes the inner joint likes to come out a bit with auto to manual swap on the pass side. Check if bolts to intermediate shaft and such are tight?

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I think that cluncking sound may be normal. A friend of mine has a gsr in a civic with an aftermarket lsd and it does the same type of thing. I asked for a drive one night and i turned slightly left started moving and it clunked like twice. Before i even moved it after that i told him his axles might be shot but he told me its just a sound that the lsd makes when you're barely moving.... I thought it was weird but maybe its a common thing.

Comment

I have the same thing in the ITR tranny (Helical LSD) Scott. There is a slight clunking. From my research its either:

A. normal, and just the helical gears.
                              B. A worn out differential that needs to be re-shimmed.

Either way, its not a big problem.

MIne only happens in the winter when its cold. Once the tranny warms up it goes away, which makes me think it might be a shimming issue.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Working...
                              X