Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many people have done timing belt with engine in the car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how many people have done timing belt with engine in the car?

Just wondering is there enough room to see what your doing to line up all the markings with the engine in the car?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

there sure is, kinda tight, but definitely possible, i've done about two or three already

THEN: 1993 Accord 10th Ann. Ed.---------------------- NOW: 1996 Accord EX
    My Ride thread
    Flickr
    Originally posted by d112crzy
    And it can only get better. That's the best part.
    All I gotta really say is:
    People of cb7tuner, this AUTO is NOT a joke. It has impressed ME, the hater of auto's.

Comment

definitely lots of room

the markings are easy to see, tho. pull out the plastic cover at the bottom pulley, take off the VC and plastic cover, and u can see clearly the markings on the cam pulley and crank pulley.

good luck

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
      Honda Accord Euro-R
      Honda Odyssey Absolute
      Honda City I-DSi
      Honda Stream

Comment

yeah. ive taken my timing belt off with the motor in the car. actually was a WHOLE lot easier than what the shops always said. they always told me it wold take 2 hour to take off the PS and AC belt and then drop the motor down to the side then take the belts off. it took me all of an hour to do all of the that. bastards tried to charge me $800 just to do that and replace the seals. i would have done it in about like 3 hours but i was having trouble with getting the AC and altenator belt back on.

Comment

IN the car. Just move most of the shit out of the way drop the driver side mount and tis there. Just need a light if your doing it in the dark.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

yeah my mechanic at work did it in about 1.5 hrs, and that was with other jobs going on.

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

done about 12 timing belts and waters pumps along with all the seals and stuff all with the engine inside the car. not that hard, once you have done it this many times, you learn a few tricks and get it done faster. last one i did was timing belt and water pump and took me about 45 min from the time i started till the fans came on.

and yes there is enough room to line up the marks and we as clearly see them. after you put the belt on, turn the engine till its a tdc again and make sure the marks are lined up
              Members Ride

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                IN the car. Just move most of the shit out of the way drop the driver side mount and tis there. Just need a light if your doing it in the dark.
                x2 when you take that mount out the engine tips down plenty and theres enough room.
                My Members Ride Thread

Comment

A mechanic friend of mine and myself did mine w/ the engine in the car, car was on a lift, wasn't too bad. Next t-belt job will be done by myself though!

Comment

Originally posted by prNonVtec4u
                    there sure is, kinda tight, but definitely possible, i've done about two or three already
                    same here on number 4 as i type

Comment

Originally posted by blackcb7
                      done about 12 timing belts and waters pumps along with all the seals and stuff all with the engine inside the car. not that hard, once you have done it this many times, you learn a few tricks and get it done faster. last one i did was timing belt and water pump and took me about 45 min from the time i started till the fans came on.

and yes there is enough room to line up the marks and we as clearly see them. after you put the belt on, turn the engine till its a tdc again and make sure the marks are lined up
                      werd, recheck, recheck and recheck the marks. dont want to skip a tooth :o
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

For F22A's, it's complete cake.

It's more of a bitch for h22/h23/f22b dohc because of the dohc head, duh.

Theres like 1" of room between the valve cover and the strut tower.

I'm sure it's still doable.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Man to me it's very easy, it's just the crank pulley bolt that get's me sometimes lol!
                          99 GS300 (Aristo) 2JZ Power

Bought from:gdout, bb6-sh

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
                            For F22A's, it's complete cake.

It's more of a bitch for h22/h23/f22b dohc because of the dohc head, duh.

Theres like 1" of room between the valve cover and the strut tower.

I'm sure it's still doable.
                            Theres less room with a 5spd conversion done with the prelude mount. Id say its nearly impossible for me to do it with the engine in the car with the current mount setup.
                            To-Do List for Today
                            Be Awesome

Comment

Yea, you'll probably have to take the ps and alternator off for more room.

You probably won't be able to lower the engine, since it will most likely hit.

Sucks having fat hands.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Working...
                              X