Help, car died on me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d112crzy
    Yea, there's a chance you may have bent valves.

You can check by doing a compression test. If that checks out fine, then it may still be saved.
    HUH? im mean compression check is good and all but....wouldnt he want to do a LEAK DOWN test to see if the valves are seating properly and that there isnt leakage past the suspected "bent valves"?
    Last edited by SMseagren83; 08-30-2007, 08:52 PM.
    F22a1-->F22A-->H22A-->auto-2-5spd-->K20 6spd-->F22C 6spd RWD-->4G63 6spd AWD-->K24 6spd????

Sold to: blackice, Myothercar, Rennat, Ilikebigbutts, HA91, DA92CB7, accord91lx, Cb7GHOST, Gemini, whiteaccord92,Warudakumi, jhondayaaj
    Bought from: 93twodoorLX, Datmofo, g7kobayashi, accord_inspire, Accord SiR, Kurobei, UK-Accord, phreakish93, RENR, k-mart

Comment

yea, thats what i meant.

mah bad.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

I'll have to have a new belt on there before I do either of those tests though, correct?

Comment

Here's my final update: the car was towed to my uncle's shop last Friday. They replaced the timing belt today, and it started right up. Apparently I got lucky, and don't have any bent valves. Only cost $470 too (versus the $650 it would've cost me locally), and that also includes replacing the timing belt cover which was a little mangled up, and presumably the water pump too (didn't get a chance to talk to my uncle about what all was replaced yet).

Comment

did you wash it with water or that engine cleaner stuff from a car wash or what?

Cuz ive used the engine cleaner stuff a time or two. i was quick with it and tried to keep away from electricals, but i didnt cover anything or protect anything

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
            Originally posted by Jarrett
            Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

I used Greased Lightning Orange Blast (a citrus-based degreaser, similar to Simple Green if I remember correctly), and diluted it 4:1. I was amazed at the huge amounts of stuff that came off. Really, I still should've used some car wash soap on my air intake and stuff, because it's still dirty. I just covered the alternator and distributor (and probably should've covered the igniter coil too), and everything was fine, since my problem ended up being totally unrelated.

Comment

Crazy timing then, since your engine detailing was totally unrelated to the problem.
                '92 Accord LX Sedan--Bordeaux Red Pearl --OEM--279k Daily Driver
                EX Lip & Alpine OEM single CD Player. No more useless pocket!

Comment

Originally posted by mrvinyl33
                  Crazy timing then, since your engine detailing was totally unrelated to the problem.
                  it happens at the weirdest times.

Mine snapped while I was giving a lady a car to a mechanics shop cus HER car broke down....the irony.

Comment

Originally posted by mrvinyl33
                    Exactly my thoughts. Definitely weird timing.

Comment

So I was just thinking, would it have been wise to get my motor mounts and at least a few leaking seals replaced at the same time, since the mechanics were there anyway?

Oh, also the water pump wasn't replaced...should I be worried about that?

Comment

Do you know the last time the water pump was replaced?

If not, then I'd just replace everything asap.

You should replace the rest of the seals yourself. It's not hard at all.

Comment

Okay, one more question. Now I notice a squealing belt when I accelerate from a stop. I only hear it when I barely get on the gas (around 1-2k rpm's when I hear it), and even then, it doesn't happen every time. But when it does happen, it's really loud and embarrassing. It'll go away if I let off the gas and get back on it, or if I give it more gas usually.

I checked the tension on the belts that go to the AC compressor and the alternator, and they're both really snug (if anything, I'd argue that they're too tight), so I don't think it's them. The timing belt and balance shaft belt were both replaced (along with the timing belt cover, which was apparently pretty beat up), but both those belts have teeth on them, so it doesn't make sense that they'd be slipping, right? And if a belt was somehow rubbing on something, I'd think I would always hear it.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what belt is squealing? Do the belts just have to get broken in and stretch a little after you replace them?
                          Last edited by cjv998; 09-08-2007, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X