Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

horrid gas mileage !!! what should i do !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

horrid gas mileage !!! what should i do !!

Hey guys
    i got my accord about a month ago, currently it goes to about 326 miles full tank to the light, and thats not all that good. i filed it up about a little above full 2 days ago (7.15 gallons) and the light came on at around 152 miles, about 22 mpg. It is HORRIBE, i changed the filter, which was filty, got the oil changed a bit earlier, my guess is spark plugs are gone, i just got new ones so im gonna put them in
    what yal think ?
    Members Ride - 1993 Honda Accord EX

Originally posted by Accord07
    Hey guys
    i got my accord about a month ago, currently it goes to about 326 miles full tank to the light, and thats not all that good. i filed it up about a little above full 2 days ago (7.15 gallons) and the light came on at around 152 miles, about 22 mpg. It is HORRIBE, i changed the filter, which was filty, got the oil changed a bit earlier, my guess is spark plugs are gone, i just got new ones so im gonna put them in
    what yal think ?

22mpg isn't bad. if you drive a certain way, that would actually be good. depending on your driving style and where you drive it, 22mpg may be GREAT.

these aren't normally 30mpg cars, they aren't a civic cx

check this link out http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/6688.shtml

19 city, 26 highway, 22 combined
    "As far as the prog references go, we embrace them. However, we would prefer our new moniker, which is a Mulligan stew of progressive rock, Bulgarian folk metal, rock ’n’ roll, ’80s disco and Christian rap that we like to call Munge." (Maynard James Keenan cited in Boston Herald, 2006)

Comment

sounds to me like you def. bought a 4th gen. thats about the same gas mileage i get actually mine is worse. if you want good gas mileage get a 1.5 liter civic lol ya it sucks but i wouldnt trade my accord for anything, well almost anything lol

-sean
      Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
      Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

yeah i got a 93 accord EX with 174k on it, now it has 176k.
        i drive mostly highway miles and i think its eating up too much gas, it should average atleast 26-28 to my knowedge, i got ppl w ith accords geting 30 mpg
        Members Ride - 1993 Honda Accord EX

Comment

22 is what i get with my accords with stop and go driving, sometimes 23, sometimes 24, usually 22 though

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
          where you been, is something wrong?
          i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

yeah i got a 93 accord EX with 174k on it, now it has 176k.
            i drive mostly highway miles and i think its eating up too much gas, it should average atleast 26-28 to my knowedge, i got ppl w ith accords geting 30 mpg
            how often do you idle? idling gets you ZERO miles per gallon.

it's also summer, which means more heat soak and to maintain 70mph, your car has to work a bit harder than in cooler, more power-friendly weather, add the a/c factor (usually only 1-2mpg if that) and you could easily be getting 25-26mpg if it were 65 degrees outside.
            "As far as the prog references go, we embrace them. However, we would prefer our new moniker, which is a Mulligan stew of progressive rock, Bulgarian folk metal, rock ’n’ roll, ’80s disco and Christian rap that we like to call Munge." (Maynard James Keenan cited in Boston Herald, 2006)

Comment

I too want to know how to get closer to 30 mpg like some of the others here.

My F22A4 averages about 22 city, 26 highway. It used to get only about 19mpg city when my timing was advanced, but after it was set back to stock setting I saw slight improvement. The fact my engine stumbles at 3500 makes me think one or two cylinders is missing, so once I fix that (oil on plugs) maybe I'll get a little better.

But how do you 30mpg folks do it? Any special tips other than pristine maint? Specifically, what components contribute to better (or worse) mpg? I do know I have an 02 sensor cel right now...
              My Ride (Click here)

Comment

Originally posted by BlackPearl2006
                I too want to know how to get closer to 30 mpg like some of the others here.

My F22A4 averages about 22 city, 26 highway. It used to get only about 19mpg city when my timing was advanced, but after it was set back to stock setting I saw slight improvement. The fact my engine stumbles at 3500 makes me think one or two cylinders is missing, so once I fix that (oil on plugs) maybe I'll get a little better.

But how do you 30mpg folks do it? Any special tips other than pristine maint? Specifically, what components contribute to better (or worse) mpg? I do know I have an 02 sensor cel right now...
                O2 sensor will fuck with your mileage a lot.
                Keep the maintenance up. Having a 5 speed helps too. Don't mash on gas. Lots of highway miles helps too.
                Gary A.K.A. Carter
                [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

You want to know how to keep that 26-30mpg range for your CB's.
                  1. Do an ignition overhaul.
                  ICM (Ignitor) $77
                  Coil = $68
                  Spark Plug ZFR5F-11 NGK = $10
                  Wires = $40
                  Cap Assy = $17
                  Rotor = $7

2. Fuel system
                  Cleaning = $5 (injector cleaner)
                  fuel filter = $25

3 If you have EGR clean it.
                  Give your intake manifold a good cleaning - Throttle body cleaner. $7 and a few hours of your time.

4. Change your air filter.
                  Stock = $20

All the parts listed are OEM dealership parts.

The above list is the best $350 mod (+/- a few$) that you can buy for your car. Do all this and then you will be getting the MPG that you are looking for out of an older car.
                  Last edited by GhostAccord; 08-24-2007, 11:17 PM.
                  MR Thread
                  GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

i had a 30 mpg f22. the motor was beat up, over abused, over heated, learner car for like 3 people. my uncle gave it to me, and on the way back home i averaged 33mpg with no maintenence. Eveer since that i always expect my accords to get at least 30 mpg.
                    the mpg did drop later on, after i did basic maintenece

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

haha, thats nothing dude.. i get 260 on a tank... i dont floor it, and i have a stock motor...

yes, 260 full to light

Comment

I have currently 230k on my motor and I get around 22-28 mpg with mixed driving. I always drive carefully and rarely go WOT. I have some maintenance done. (ngk plugs and plugs, syn oil, k&n huge air filter, etc.) I know with a new fuel filter I can get above 25 all the time. With a smaller amount of gas in my tank I can get 25-28 easy.

with that setup I can get 320-340 on full tank with mixed driving, highway and local.

Comment

maintenance, and its all about how you drive.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                          "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                          "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Hey guys
                            what yal think ?
                            whenever you fill up a cb7 when the tank is empty, and light comes on for the first time, when you fill it up again,usually it fills about 13.7-14 gallons. At least mine did. So if you went 326 miles(which is good for this car) that means you get roughly 23 miles per gallon. Mixed driving right?

Now if you filled it up full and only went 152 miles b4 the light came on,that means you are getting roughly 11 miles per gallon. Meaning there is something seriously wrong with your car.

Comment

Working...
                            X