So i pulled the head off my h22..... PICS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So i pulled the head off my h22..... PICS

Ok so my prelude shut off on me the other day as i was cruising at 2k rpm and wouldnt start up, i noticed that the cams were 180 degrees off when i removed the valve cover and the crank would turn over but the camshafts werent.(stripped timing belt). I removed the head and this is what i find. All the cylinder walls look ok except one which has some minor scoring. Im wondering if that cylinder needs to be honed? and i was expecting many bent valves but i dont see any indication of that. There is also a wierd splatter pattern on piston 3 that i cant explain.. that cylinder is the one with massive oil on the valves. The engine has 133k on it. It had some ignition problems at high rpm for the last 500 miles and besides that burned 1 quart of oil a week. Although it had oil leak on the vtec solenoid... There is a lot of what i assume to be carbon buildup on the valves and the pistons. perhaps my ignition was very weak and i wasnt getting a proper combustion in the chamber? perhaps the oil in cylinder 3 is from bad valve seats? I had a slight ticking for about 3k before this happened. Please give me any advise you can!! I need my baby back on the road!!!

Cylinder 1,2,3 all look fresh!!

Cylinder 4 has some scoring.. how bad do you think it is?

To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Now Cylinder 3 has these splatter patterns

this same cylinder has this awfull looking topend. there looks like the spark plug has a growth on it!!! wierd!!!

uburnt carbon buildup?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND ADVISE GUYS!!

Comment

mmmmm pudding....

DEVOTE

Comment

As long as the scoring isn't rough, on the cylinder wall, it is probably OK. They kind of look funny like that when they wear (FRM sleeves).

As for cylinder #3, I am wondering if you have a bad valve seal or something, because that looks like oil residue to me. You might want to change your plugs too LOL!

I don't see any signs of contact on the valves, or the valve reliefs, so you are probably OK. If you were not in VTEC, you will probably be fine, as the H22 is a non-interference engine outside of VTEC.
        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

yucky, makes me want to rebuild my engine
          wat?

Comment

maybe that "aweful looking top end" is the oil getting through the piston rings(?)

or maybe same thing for the fourth, and is causing it to score(?)

~$0.02

94 GSR | 93 GSR

Comment

it doesnt look too bad to me at all. but also its hard to tell from a picture what is just carbon buildup/dust,etc from when you cracked open the sucker

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
              "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
              "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

looks like the motor is still good but getting ready to go bad soon. at least for the bottom end.
                The beginning of a new era............................
                165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
                184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

Clean...clean..clean..

thats all I have about that ( forest gump voice )

and damn...yeah..

might be your valve seals!

all that carbon..damn!! ( seafoam to the rescue )

when was the last time you had a tune up and a seafoam job mayne?

WOW!

( spray your head down with some CARBON-OFF )
                  92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174586
                  My tribute page: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=70489

Comment

yeah just bought this car from a friend. its shot. sending the engine to Jge engien dynamics for full work.. HEHEHEHEH SCORE 1-me 0-prelude

Comment

umm..skunk2 makes some REALLY nice oversized valves. i have them. they make the car tour much better. and that should also help solve your carbon buildup problem. lol.

JDMRIDES.ca

Comment

Working...
                      X