Suspension Thud over bumps/corners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension Thud over bumps/corners

My Mom's EX was recently in the shop because of noticeable play in the steering and thudding over bumps. When it was in there, one side's LBJ (I don't remember which) and sway bar end links were replaced. The play in the steering is completely gone, but the thudding over bumps still exist.

I'm just trying to figure out what it might be. The front struts are supposedly new (have receipts...the bodies don't look original). My mech. said the axles are starting to go, but I've never heard of axles thudding over bumps however.

I was thinking maybe UCA's? It's most noticeable on the driver's side wheel, and the UCA itsself looks old. Could that cause the issue? I know my car was making similar noises, and when I replaced the UCA/struts it went away.

There doesn't appear to be any play in the wheel at all when I jack it up, but it's definitely old. I'm just trying to save another expensive trip to the shop, since those parts are relatively cheap and easy to replace.

Check the ball joint in the upper control arm, But Also I would check the shocks also. If you dont want to buy the entire uca you can buy just the ball joint from Rockauto.com.

Comment

I didn't think you could remove the ball joint from the UCA? If you can, that's good news...my friends CB needs two new ones.
      Originally posted by sweet91accord
      if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747
        Check the ball joint in the upper control arm, But Also I would check the shocks also. If you dont want to buy the entire uca you can buy just the ball joint from Rockauto.com.
        I highly highly doubt it's the struts. It's not excessively bumpy, and both sides match. Plus, they only have about 10K miles on them.

The rubber on the ball joints have seen better days...but I always assumed there'd be play in the wheel when the car is jacked up.

Comment

I believe your UCA is shot.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
          1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
          2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
          2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
          2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
          2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Most likely bushings or ball joints.

There should be NO play in the front wheels with it jacked up.

The bushings start to make noise with time, and eventually they go to the point where stuff starts shifting when you hit a bump.

I am having this issue currently.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate
              I didn't think you could remove the ball joint from the UCA? If you can, that's good news...my friends CB needs two new ones.
              Yep totally possible. You just need a BFH. Used this method to install the ingalls ball joint camber kits.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

count me in as well. both my UCA boots are blown and i get a pretty bad thud and a steering jerk when going over fast bumps or entering a driveway sideways. (cant enter straight otherwise ill scrape)
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

my issue that i chased for years was a worn sway bar endlinks. they were cheap and actually got some polyeurathane ones and it wasnt a bad install....no more thudding over continuous bumps.

usually by this time they are pancakes.
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Working...
                  X