Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stock Accord Trans or other related problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Accord Trans or other related problem?

Let me start off by saying the car is a 91 accord LX, bought a long time back and driven by the same family for most all of its life. Its never seen any mods or been beaten. Currently has 150k, so really not bad for a 91.

About 2 months back the car would be driving around fine and all of a sudden the "S" light would blink and it would feel just like the transmission would slip. If you had the car on an incline (like a driveway) and you attempted to go up it the rpms would shoot up and it would feel just like a slipping trans or a bad TC. Sometimes after you turn the car off after this it wont start back up...eventually will after a few attempts.

However it will then just as randomly go away and the car will drive perfectly normal. Clearly a bad trans or TC wouldnt be fine one day and bad the next. Not knowing that much about auto transmissions I took it to a local (respectable) trans shop. They had it for the day and the owner actually took it home that night to try and have it repeat what it would do before... unfortunately it woundnt repeat and the "S" light did not leave a code. They said bring it back if it did it again and the only thing they could think of is that the TCU was bad or going bad.

I have a spare TCU here out of my 93 that I swapped an H22 in so I didnt need the F22 TCU. The car with the newer TCU drove great and for at least a good solid month did not act up at all. Well, thats until yesterday. It did it again, same slipping fleeling, same no start issues after the trans issues act up.

Any one have any insight on this? Im lost but feel its something more like an electrical component thats malfunctioning one minute and not the next. Yesterday when it acted up I shut the car off and restarted it. Once I turned it back on it drove fine again but literally 30 seconds previously it wouldnt drive well at all. I can take it back to the trans shop but its almost as if I have to get it there when its acting up and thats a bit of a problem (especially getting it there driving like that).

Thanks all for your help, just want to keep this car around so it can get through college.
    **My CB7 has been sold**

Any ideas?
    **My CB7 has been sold**

Comment

Take apart the TCU and look for burn circuit board. Also see if it threw a code.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

In both TCU's? I can go through them and look but its kinda odd both would be bad especially since the only reason I pulled the one out of the 93 is due to an H22 swap
        **My CB7 has been sold**

Comment

there's only one TCU in the car other one is an Ecu
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

No no, I know the difference between a TCU and a ECU. I mean I have 2 TCUs here... the origional one that came in the car and the 93 out of another car. Im saying I find it really unlikely that both would be bad. Maybe the one that was in the car is bad but the 93 as I mentioned was pulled only for an H22 unit.

Are there other transmission electrical components that could do this. I need to read the code but aparently according to the trans place its not storing for some reason and can only be retrieved when the S light is blinking.
            **My CB7 has been sold**

Comment

Working...
            X