I failed Ca Smog today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
    I drove the car around all day running errands then hit the smog shop on the way home.
    Prior to the smog shop I was on the freeway for a good 15 mins.
    OIl was swapped last month.
    I had 1/2 a tank of gas.
    Adjust timing?
    You mean valve adjustment?
    valve adj. and timing will not fix those problems. it will be nice to have it in spec though. as I mentioned above including your egr ports to be unclogged too. it may not be clogged up totally, but I'm sure that it will help a lot. trust me.
    The beginning of a new era............................
    165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
    184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

Originally posted by jhondayaaj
      valve adj. and timing will not fix those problems. it will be nice to have it in spec though. as I mentioned above including your egr ports to be unclogged too. it may not be clogged up totally, but I'm sure that it will help a lot. trust me.
      ummm, ignition timing that is five degrees off will affect the readings...
      clogged parts look like this

Egr doesnt activate after 3k rpms, it is only used during light acceleration and crusing where it can suffer a little loss in performance.

exhaust gas = wee bit colder combustion chamber temp.
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
        ummm, ignition timing that is five degrees off will affect the readings...
        clogged parts look like this

Egr doesnt activate after 3k rpms, it is only used during light acceleration and crusing where it can suffer a little loss in performance.

exhaust gas = wee bit colder combustion chamber temp.
        true, 5 degrees off will make a car not pass smog. It will also be very noticeable while driving also. just a note, don't the smog techs check timing before they even smog the car?? I'm sure they do, if the timing is off, they won't even smog it. that's to my understanding. I would still do the egr ports. It wouldn't hurt and is not that hard.

isn't this car high on NOX too?? that's what I thought. or am I reading your paper wrong?? just curious bro.

Comment

true, 5 degrees off will make a car not pass smog. It will also be very noticeable while driving also. just a note, don't the smog techs check timing before they even smog the car?? I'm sure they do, if the timing is off, they won't even smog it. that's to my understanding. I would still do the egr ports. It wouldn't hurt and is not that hard.

isn't this car high on NOX too?? that's what I thought. or am I reading your paper wrong?? just curious bro.
          I go to test only, they won't look at anything.
          They will just smog it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
            I go to test only, they won't look at anything.
            They will just smog it.
            oh,ok.

Comment

that was my paper and my problem.

a co-worker of mine had 1400 on both noX, got a new cat and it passed with flying colors.
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                that was my paper and my problem.

a co-worker of mine had 1400 on both noX, got a new cat and it passed with flying colors.
                like I said before new cat, new o2 sensor, valves adjusted, ignition timing checked and adjusted to spec (I think 15 degrees), do egr ports, and run some 91 octane gas from chevron till almost empty, and have smog rechecked.

short story..... jdm h22 in prelude, (I swapped it), smogged it, gross polluter. new cat from pacesetter (high flow) new o2 from Honda, tune up with oem parts, valves adjusted, timing good, and passed smog. barely though. I wok at Honda so I have the courtesy of a dyno to test it everytime we did something. that's my experience.

Comment

...should read that document i posted.

a new cat would help alot...but if you adjust your timming correctly the values will change definitly. a new cat helps but in a year or so if the issue was still there, it will kill that CAT and you are still at the same spot you were last time unless the CAT is just toast hehe.
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Working...
                  X