Wont start and d4 is flashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wont start and d4 is flashing

Ok so my car has done this to me 3 times in the past week. Usually when i just stop into a store real quick and come back out to start the car again. When I go to start it back up it just cranks and cranks. the park light is on ( of course cuz its in park) and the d4 light flashes constantly.But if I let the car sit for about 15 min it will start again. Also the check engine light is on when this happens but once it starts again it goes off. Any ideas? Please help!

Rocesride Member Page

I believe you need to check your fuel relay. Do you hear that click of the fuel pump turning on after you turn the car to the "on" position but not cranking it? You should see your check lights come on and then after they go off you hear a click? That's the fuel relay turning on. You may not be getting any fuel to the engine. If it doesn't click all the time that's a sign of the relay going bad.

Last edited by Accordolictx; 07-30-2007, 10:23 AM.

Comment

I will check that out...thanks a lot..any other suggestions would be great also.

Rocesride Member Page

Comment

Could the main relay be the prob?

Rocesride Member Page

Comment

yeah main relay was the problem in my auto accord. It would flash the d4 light because the main relay turns on the ecu, tcu, ignition, and fuel pump. When i would unplug the tcu and turned the ign to the on position the d4 light would flash.

But the weird part is: sometimes the car would start but it had no first or third gear and no torque converter lock up. Explain that.
          vouch for:924dr, sn2bh22cb7, soysaucecb7, ecto1, PRIMESNIPER,2.2litrebeater,turbowagon94, losiracer2,jacobuchanan140, tommi, dannyd

Comment

mine did that today too. I cranked and cranked and nothing. I tried some starting fluid and it acted like it was going to crank but nothing. I went under the dash where the relay is and started to unplug it to replace it and something told me to try it again before I changed it and sure enough it cranked. I guess me tapping on the relay did the trick. I just wanted to get home so later I will have to change the relay. I never really thought that a relay would act like that

she is down....but definately not out

Comment

so i took the main relay out yesterday and looked at it...seemed to be perfectly fine. so i drilled some holes in the casing to see if that would help with the heat but im still not sure if the relay is my problem. any help?

Rocesride Member Page

Comment

I think its the TCU, I had the same problem, but im 5 speed now.

Will's Accord

Comment

I replaced the TCU last year but i bought if off some kid on here so who knows if it was good or not

Rocesride Member Page

Comment

Relays go bad they don't get hot. You just need to replace the switch, have your fuel pump checked too it wouldn't hurt. When I had that problem, and I drive an auto, the car would only start sometimes. When the car did crank, and the D4 light flashed (only when I didn't hear the click), the tranny wouldn't engage and the car had little to no power. Everytime I didn't hear that "click" like Judonoh told me, the car would turn over and not start because no enough gas was getting to the engine. Right after I got the relay and pump changed, I haven't a had a problem since. Thanks Justin!

Comment

i dont have n e loss of power but idk maybe i will just replace the relay

Rocesride Member Page

Comment

bump for some more help please

Rocesride Member Page

Comment

Originally posted by gromofsky_92

But the weird part is: sometimes the car would start but it had no first or third gear and no torque converter lock up. Explain that.
                          EASY...shift solenoids ..thats ON the tranny itself ( looks like cylinders )

OPEN HOOD..look directly on the tranny..you will see 2 cylinderlike solenoids..then look lower..and you will see the other 2

8 out of 10 says..those are bad!
                          92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:
                          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174586
                          My tribute page: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=70489

Comment

Originally posted by Accordolictx
                            Relays go bad they don't get hot. You just need to replace the switch, have your fuel pump checked too it wouldn't hurt. When I had that problem, and I drive an auto, the car would only start sometimes. When the car did crank, and the D4 light flashed (only when I didn't hear the click), the tranny wouldn't engage and the car had little to no power. Everytime I didn't hear that "click" like Judonoh told me, the car would turn over and not start because no enough gas was getting to the engine. Right after I got the relay and pump changed, I haven't a had a problem since. Thanks Justin!
                            SOMETIMES...just sometimes...that Fuel pump wire ( plug ) gets pinched SOMEHOW..and shorts out! ( found that out the hard way ) after wasting ALOT OF TIME with a few other auto CBs!

so dont overlook the SMALLEST thing! like a shorted wire!
                            92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174586
                            My tribute page: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=70489

Comment

My car started doing this... going to replace the relay and if that doesn't fix it going to replace the fuel pump.. thankfully, I have a donor accord to take parts from

I'll check for a crimped wire too... good timing on this post, THANKS!

Comment

Working...
                              X