No announcement yet.

Why can't the F22A Engine rev high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In agreement with Scott, first issue is that to even rev the F22ax high enough to run into any problems with stock components requires letting the motor breathe better first. Allowing the engine to breathe better is a topic all its own and is another subject here. Inherently, stock components are not designed for this and so will need upgrading/modification. Like a couple people have said, the valvetrain is a weakness and will need upgrading depending on where you realistically will be revving to and the frequency. Also, when building a motor designed for higher revving (in reference to Honda motors), you will need to attack engine bearing clearances accordingly and Honda OEM bearings are good quality, it's the clearance itself you need to do research on. Balancing the rotating assembly and using lightweight moving components will also benefit your motor.

Now for real-world talk, regarding my red Accord 91 DX project (mild modified). In summary, my mods are:

- 3" short ram intake, cone filter
    - bored 67-64mm H23 TB (portmatched)
    - ported H23 intake manifold (portmatched)
    - ported head, stock valvetrain (valve springs tested, components checked)
    - Delta 272 cam regrind
    - 2.5" collector header (Kamikaze)
    - 2.5" exhaust system with high-flow catalytic converter
    - completely stock block (210,XXX miles when modified, ran great no problems)
    - 12 lb flywheel
    - stage 1 clutch kit

I make max wheel HP at 6600 rpm, I rev to 7000 rpm frequently. I have revved to 7500 rpm occassionally. I have had no valvetrain issues to my knowledge yet. I have however noted that I have to adjust my valvetrain earlier and do so every 12,000 miles instead of every 15,000 miles like a stock motor (this is understandable). I adjust my valve lash to .008" INT/.010" EXH. I have a completely stock valvetrain, however all valve springs were tested and components check during headwork, anything that needed replacing was done so. Components I used had 110,000 miles on the valvetrain, came from a younger F22 head than the original motor in this car.

My car has 249,XXX miles on it currently and was modified at 210,XXX miles for your reference. I have not had any engine issues at all with this mildly modified daily driver, full F22a1 motor. The only issues I have encountered have to do with bolt-on issues like the Kamikaze header leaks, new radiator hoses dry-rotting on me, etc.
    Last edited by HondaFan81; 07-30-2007, 04:32 PM.
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=24996

Go to link above, click on my video of the red project 40+mph pull. I go from 40 to about 110 mph and rev it to 7500 rpm (F22a1 motor).

*Ignore CEL light, it's #7 TPS code because of my bored throttle body, at WOT it maxes out the range and trips the code. I had already been doing some WOT runs prior to taking the video, which is why the light was on. It goes away on restart of motor every time.*
      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

I was hoping you would drop by this thread.

I was also running mine to the 6800RPM rev limit fairly often, and never encountered any trouble, even though I had up to 230K on my engine.

It was also well maintained though.
        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Working...
        X