Alternator Question/ Mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator Question/ Mileage

so umm im wondering about all ya ppls alternator, How much miles did you have in your cb when the alternator started to screw up?? as of NOW...im sittin at 179ish K..and im getting slow starting power...=(

*Needs*
    -New shocks
    -Struts
    -Drop
    -Cleaning
    -New Tires/Wheels
    -New Window Tint
    -Alot more lovin'

My Panda:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ghlight=Djmoua

Slow starting is your starter, battery, etc, not your alternator.

But I pulled the OEM alternator out of my mom's EX at 151K about a month and a half ago.

Comment

already replaced starter last year and the battery 2 years ago...this kind of slow turn sounds like it doesn't have enough energy to actually start...and my battery light has been comin' on randomly. But wow! you changed the alt. at 151k? i guess im next! Did you replace the whole brace that hold the alt as well?
      Last edited by Djmoua; 07-26-2007, 12:39 PM.

*Needs*
      -New shocks
      -Struts
      -Drop
      -Cleaning
      -New Tires/Wheels
      -New Window Tint
      -Alot more lovin'

Comment

The battery light coming on does signify an alternator issue more than likely. I think what's happening is that your alternator isn't charging the battery enough for it to have enough to start the car fast.

I'd say you're more than likely going to have to check into replacing the battery as well. I just replaced the alternator and belt with a part I got from Autozone...only cost me about $120.

It's not that hard either, took me about 2 hours and that was my first repair like that on my own, and I spent about 45 minutes of that two hours buying a ratchet to fit to get the lower mount bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
          The battery light coming on does signify an alternator issue more than likely. I think what's happening is that your alternator isn't charging the battery enough for it to have enough to start the car fast.

I'd say you're more than likely going to have to check into replacing the battery as well. I just replaced the alternator and belt with a part I got from Autozone...only cost me about $120.

It's not that hard either, took me about 2 hours and that was my first repair like that on my own, and I spent about 45 minutes of that two hours buying a ratchet to fit to get the lower mount bolt.
          a new battery? really?...so i gotta replace the battery and alternator? But one other problem...lol , you know the area where you tighten the belts?? well....i tore off the head of those bolts...how do i get those remaining pieces out?!?!

*Needs*
          -New shocks
          -Struts
          -Drop
          -Cleaning
          -New Tires/Wheels
          -New Window Tint
          -Alot more lovin'

Comment

Fuck D...you broke off the adjustment bolt??? you have to get a new bracket with that adjustment bolt....( hit up the junkyard )

I think I know what you did...

you didn't loosen the PINCH BOLT behind the alternator and you proceeded to ADJUST ( loosen or tighten ) the belt

you have to loosen TWO bolts....

1: PIVOT BOLT...

2: PINCH bolt...

THEN ..

you proceed to adjust the alternator!

NOTE:

FIRST....loosen the PIVOT BOLT....then loosen the PINCH...THEN...adjust it...

SECOND once you have it tight enough ( 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch MAX of play in belt )...

THEN..you TIGHTEN the pinch bolt...then the Pivot bolt...THEN you're done!

SAME GOES with the Power steering belt!
            Last edited by SN2BH22CB7; 07-26-2007, 03:35 PM.
            92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174586
            My tribute page: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=70489

Comment

SHIT!...did NOT know that lol...thanks for the tip!

*Needs*
              -New shocks
              -Struts
              -Drop
              -Cleaning
              -New Tires/Wheels
              -New Window Tint
              -Alot more lovin'

Comment

Ok, you can narrow down this problem really easy. Go to the nearest autoparts store, (Auto Zone, Advance, Kragen, O'Reilys...etc) and they have a FREE Alternator and Battery test. Take your car there and find out which it is.

Comment

mine may be going bad, or it can be something else.

I think im getting a voltage drop, like the car's idle dropps a few hundred when im lowering or raising the windows.
                  1993 Honda Accord EX-R Coupe Granada Black Pearl
                  ///Alpine CDA-9847 Head Unit
                  OBX Pedals, stock air box, Ebay headers, Stock dual tipped muffler. Emblems removed, grill chrome painted black.

1993 Kawasaki EX500 Flat Black. First Bike.

Comment

I think I have the orginal alternator, its really dirty, it could have been rebuilt
                    wat?

Comment

Update!

well i replaced my Alternator at around 179ish K to 180ish K miles between those #s..just for anyone's information.

*Needs*
                      -New shocks
                      -Struts
                      -Drop
                      -Cleaning
                      -New Tires/Wheels
                      -New Window Tint
                      -Alot more lovin'

Comment

Battery has been replaced 3 or 4 time and still running with original alternator.
                        Output 13.2V with everything on! (radio, defrog, A/C, headlight etc..)

ODO: 334,000 km (208,750 miles)
                        1st car: Frost White 1991 Accord EX sedan.. (Dec. 1999 ~ Jan. 2001) *Sold*
                        2nd car: Black Pearl 1993 Accord 10th Anniversary sedan (Feb. 10, 2003 ~ Mar. 8, 2008) *Sold*
                        3rd car: Frost White 1992 Accord EX sedan (Jan. 15, 2008 ~ Aug. 12, 2008) *RIP*
                        4th car: Seattle Silver 1991 Accord EX coupe 5MT (Aug. 13, 2011 ~ Mar. 19, 2014) *Sold*
                        5th car: Black Pearl 1994 Accord LX coupe 5MT (Mar. 1, 2014 ~ )

Comment

Working...
                        X