acceleration flat spots

Background of the car:
    1992 prelude with F22A1 from 92 Accord
    H23 Intake- kept original fuel rail and injectors
    eBay header/intake
    WS2 exhaust
    Around 220k miles on the motor
    Fresh off a 5 speed swap

K, so when I accelerate I randomly hit basically brick walls in my f22a1 powered prelude. Anywhere between 2500 and 4200 rpm I'll be crusing along, then suddenly I loose power. It's significant enough to make the seat belt tensioners lock if I'm in 1st or 2nd, and when I get the power back one of the tires breaks loose for an instant. When I loose this power sometimes I get black smoke and backfiring, sometimes not. This problem is random and not really repeatable. I'm really confused because I've checked the normal stuff. It's only really been a problem since I raced it at Nelson Ledges a few weeks ago.

Here's what I've checked/done:
    New NGK copper plugs
    EGR blocked off (for diagnostics)
    Replaced fuel filter
    replaced FPR with another stock honda one
    checked fuel pressure while driving... about 45psi at WOT, 39/40 at idle
    checked for clogged cat
    checked for clogged O2 (have new one, not installed)
    checked for disty cap/rotor condition
    checked for CEL- none except knock when I run a P14 (no knock sensor on car)
    tried 5 different ECU's to no avail
    coil is external and original to car (176k mi)
    plug wires are NGK's, and disty cap/rotor that are about 12k miles old

Please help me. I've exhausted all of my ideas.

Check the distributor. the O-ring maybe bad causing oil to get in the wiring part of the dist. which causes it to short out.

-Jordan

I ♥/Miss My Coupe

Comment

didnt mention ignitor...

oh and old coil? id check the coil bro. when my coil was going out, the car would sputter and die and eventually one morning the car wouldnt even start.
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

As mentioned take a look at the distributor. Thats prob the second area I would look since that can cause that.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

maybe the p14?

Comment

Originally posted by 10thcb7
            maybe the p14?
            he said he tried 5 different ecu's. Definetly check your distributor out.

jdmCITY.com

Comment

The o-ring on the distributor is fine. It was replaced when I put the new motor in. I've also had the cap off and there doesn't appear to be any oil in the disty. No external leaks either.

Is the ignitor replaceable? I really haven't fiddled around with the inside of the ignition, so I don't really have an idea. If the coil was going out, would it fail resistance checks in the helms? Perfect time for me to upgrade I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by preludeman92
                The o-ring on the distributor is fine. It was replaced when I put the new motor in. I've also had the cap off and there doesn't appear to be any oil in the disty. No external leaks either.

wow...ok, how long ago did you swap the engine? just check it. my stepdad has a 91 SE accord, 131XXX and it was bad, we didnt believe it, but...it was.

Just take it off and check the o ring. they can go bad in 1 session of the car being started

I ♥/Miss My Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by civic_90_08
                  wow...ok, how long ago did you swap the engine? just check it. my stepdad has a 91 SE accord, 131XXX and it was bad, we didnt believe it, but...it was.

Just take it off and check the o ring. they can go bad in 1 session of the car being started
                  I put the motor in last march. There is about 9k miles on it since.
                  When I get home, I'm going to try swapping coils and/or distributors between accords and the prelude. Any clue if the coil from an 02 accord would plug into the prelude wiring harness?

Comment

Hmm...this is overlooked by MANY...and I haven't seen anyone yet mention it....

IGNITION SWITCH! the points inside can ALSO cause that! if its an OLD switch..those points inside are MORE THAN LIKELY worn out!

but ....you're in the right direction!

the dizzy.....check that first! check out the ignitor and coil! ( if in doubt, change them out to cancel all doubt )

at the same time...I wouldn't overlook the IGN. SWITCH!!

NOTE: look at it this way....at least you'll have NEW parts installed! thats how I see it
                    92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174586
                    My tribute page: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=70489

Comment

Originally posted by SN2BH22CB7
                      NOTE: look at it this way....at least you'll have NEW parts installed! thats how I see it
                      See, I don't want to just throw parts at it. I'm trying to spend my money on building a motor, not fixing what's wrong with this one.

The switch is interesting though. I have another one to throw in if I have too.

Comment

Originally posted by preludeman92
                        See, I don't want to just throw parts at it. I'm trying to spend my money on building a motor, not fixing what's wrong with this one.

The switch is interesting though. I have another one to throw in if I have too.
                        well..at least you're in the right direction!

Ignitor...coil and Ignition switch!

Oh yeah, how old is your MFR????????

the points could be "starting" to crack from heat expansion...and that could ALSO be whats causing your LOST OF POWER and black smoke...

if could lose fuel and then get a burst or surge of fuel resulting in black smoke ! black smoke ( RUNNING RICH )

the MFR could be cutting out and cutting on! due to bad points..but you're in the right direction!

NOTE: double check ALL of your fuel related components! ...including checking the ohm continuity of the fuel injection resistor....if thats bad..it could do two things....( make it run too rich..or too lean ) in junction with teh O2 sensor and the ECU ....FOR EXAMPLE: if that resistor is bad...you could be running rich on 1 injector rather than ALL 4 being in sync! HENCE..black smoke!
                        Last edited by SN2BH22CB7; 07-25-2007, 10:58 AM.
                        92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:
                        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174586
                        My tribute page: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=70489

Comment

MFR= main fuel realy or master relay?
                          I replaced that a couple years ago (july 2003 actually). It works fine.

Comment

I dont see why your ignition switch would play a roll if it runs??? Usually an ignition switch will cut out while driving and crap like that. Anyway ignitors are replaceable in our car. Id try that.

The New-ish Ride
                            My old Ride
                            Hear my Vtak!!!
                            MK3 Member #3
                            I piss off people for fun.
                            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

How different are the internal coils versus the external coil ones? It's not like I could just use the one from my internal coil CB7 on my prelude, could I? Just for a test?

Comment

Working...
                              X