R134a conversion kit help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R134a conversion kit help

Can anyone give me info on converting my system to r134a from r12 so I can fill it myself instead of paying $200 for an r12 refill. I've seen retrofit kits for like $39 so this would be a way cheaper option if its easy to do on my own.

here's the link:
    http://replacement.autopartswarehous...20Kit&dp=false

91 LX auto
    Last edited by arctichonda; 07-07-2007, 02:50 PM.

Doing the conversion is not as easy as ANY of the kits make it seem. You have make sure the old R12 is completely out, the oil (depending on the condition of it) has to be flushed, and then the system has to be pressure tested.......and then you will have a good long term conversion that will last.

Do a search for envirosafe. A while back I installed it and till now it continues to work. Now remember it must be properly installed and a set of gauges are a must. I don't know how good you are w/ repairing and tools, etc., but it came out much cheaper and provides cooler temps than R134.
    1992 Accord Coupe 5-Speed

Comment

you don't have to flush it, but environmentally speaking it may illegal in most places....mixing r12 and r134a isn't dangerous and i've NEVER SEEN ANY PROOF that it's even bad for the compressor or any of the parts involved.......i've been doing it for over 10 years.....did it the other day...the a/c is nice and cold and cost me $20.....i've never used gauges either.....it's one of those things most people know shit about, they fear it, and they overanalyze it.....

there are legalities with it (like there are with converter removal, airbag steering wheel replacement, etc) but most of the time, it's an empty system that needs refilling, and 1-2 cans of 134a with a fitting is all you NEED

you have some people who swear by HONDA manual tranny fluid and HONDA power steering fluid......those are the people who'll believe whatever they're told, question nothing and don't mind wasting money on unnecessary things.....they're just ignorant.....
      ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

Dont need to flussh but you need to pull a damn good vacuum on it to draw most of it out. MIxing both refrigerants are not a good idea. I have both mixed in my system from previous owner...Sucks ass.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
          Dont need to flussh but you need to pull a damn good vacuum on it to draw most of it out. MIxing both refrigerants are not a good idea. I have both mixed in my system from previous owner...Sucks ass.

yeah, you'll HEAR that but temperature tests will show you that mixing them is no different than pure 134a and that r12 actually lasts longer, but other than that and the toxicity of it, the difference is negligible.....a lot of misinformation was floating around because in the 90's when most shops were raking in the money due to the restrictions on r12 purchases and conversions to 134a a bit later, they were telling customers of the dangers of it, about how 134a wouldn't cool as well, etc.....

it's all bullshit....134a is fine....hell, the fittings didn't even appear until later because the old "retrofit" involved draining the system, replacing the dryer and orifice tube (for money only, no logical reason to do it) and filling it back up for like $300 or whatever they charged.....now that r12 is a thing of the past, 134a's reputation is on the upswing and it's more about the legality of it (illegal to evacuate a system into the open air) and nothing else.
          ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

Ok, I don't have a problem having someone evacuate my system but I was wondering how hard it is to install the retrofit kit....that is the only thing I'm not sure about.

Comment

Working...
            X