steering Squeak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering Squeak

Hey peeps, i dunno why my powersteering squeaks when i turn, and it makes this sound like a long squeak when i do a full 360 degree turn, i opened up the bonnet and i see foamy bubbles from the PS fluid tank.

Then after driving it until its hot it doesnt make the squeaky noise no more? I bought the car recently and im thinking maybe the previous owner didnt use genuine honda PS fluid but used some other brand thats why its foaming up? Or do u need to bleed it or something?

well change the fluid then put genuine honda power steering fluid. then with the cap of the reservoir open turn the steering wheel to the end on both sides. this will make the air go out of ur system. then add more fluid if needed.
    are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

does it sound like a whale? air bubbles in ur resavor...or only when the car is pretty cold or hasnt been driven?
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

oh u have foam...its air

u have air in ur system.

i had air in mine cause i had a killer leak....it was from my pump....

but urs may be something else, but as long as there is bubbles then u got air

try to lift the car off the ground and then turn wheel left to right but dont hit the stops...just keep doing it....hopefully that will purge some air out of the system.

look around to see if there is any possible leaks on the power steering or like build up of dirt anywhere that was leaks.
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

yeah it sounds abit like a whale, especially when i make a big turn around a roundabout. YEah also i did notice when cold say i havent driven it for 5 days, i start the car up, look at the ps fluid tank and i see its foaming up looks like the fluff from beer. And yeah every 2-3 days when i lift the bonnet up to check i do realise like fluid leaking out of the ps fluid tank, its all ontop of the lid? strange?
          Think about it, i think it is leaking cause i notice just then in my drive way some fluid on the ground. What should i do ey? I gotta wait till the weekend until i can buy the Honda PS fluid, then i might suck the old fluid out with some pump and then turn the steering all to the right then to the left a few times keep doing it and refil with new fluid.

So when u had a leak in your system cause of your pump, did u have to replace the pump or soemthing?

thanks

Comment

guess i hit your problem dead on

well my leak was very noticable. haha inside the engine bay the power steering belt pushed all the power steering fluid everywhere and it was from the main pump. i found out by revving the engine to about 4k rpm and looked around for leaks, then i saw power steering fluid flowing from the pump in the back, a very hard spot to see. got the pump replaced and it was fine. well actually got it rebuilt.

thus air went into the system.

now there is another spot where you may have a leak on the power steering lines.

under the car you see the power steering rack(rack and pinion), its the rack with 1 piece and 2 small boots that are rubbber, not the big ones...the small ones, its one whole piece

on the side a little behind the oil pan i think about a foot behind.., there is a pan covering one part of the power steering rack (its the only other pan under there). thats the area where the power steering lines all hook up...look at that area and see if you see any signs of a leak.

also when your under the car, and i told you about them small rubber boots...feel the boots on the bottom...see if there is any fluid that accumulated inside...if there was then you have a bad steering rack and it needs to be replaced.

but do look around the pump and lines to see if there is a leak at all....check all the lines from the pump to see if any fluid drips at all.

its a pain in the butt to find a leak, a bigger pain when you cant see it.

the reason why some fluid coems out on the top is because air gets sucked into the pump...then the air gets churned by the rack and pinion and then comes up as bubbles..sometimes a load of air gest in there and that whale sound occurs..then when it gets through the system it comes up through the resavor.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Me Too

I bought a Accord 2.2i 4WS (F22a3) two or three weeks ago, and when ever i turn the wheel, it makes the whale sound, i havn't checked it out yet but im gonna go to halfords tommorow and see how much a new pump is, or check my fluid resevoir, which is probably the problem as i used dot 4 fliud.

How would you go about taking the fluid out of the power steering system?

Cheers
              John

Comment

first check if there is bubbles in there, you cant really drain the system, only take out and replace some fluid, i use a turkey baster.

feel under your steering rack boots to see if they have fluid in it

before doing anything BIG isolate the leak first.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Working...
                X