HD magnet on oil filter= Worth it....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HD magnet on oil filter= Worth it....

There was much speculation about this and I have read online and on here. I decided to take apart and old hard drive and take the little magnet and put it on my oil filter. Drove 3,000 miles and changed oil, took out filter drained oil out of it then put it upside down in an empty oil pan.

The magnet is called a Neodymium magnet
    176 degrees after this it starts to loose magnetivity. so buy a broken hard drive every other oil change or so =)

2 weeks later I look at it and you can see little metal pieces. It actually works VERY well.

I advise everyone to do this to their car just so a. their oil will be cleaner and b. no more little metal partials etc floating in the oil.

I will provide a picture at a later time.

=) that's all
    Last edited by Maple50175; 06-08-2007, 01:33 PM.

You should do the same test without a magnet.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

but aren't those magnetic oil plugs only 12 bucks?

Comment

Even if the oil filter would've caught the metal, it'll be that much less the filter has to trap. Cool beans. Kinda scary what can build up though.

I have a Fram SureDrain, so a magnetic plug is out. I'd bet the filter will catch it anyways. I use the Napa Gold 1356. Can't get much finer than that without a bypass filter
        Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Ok just put a magnet on the camry's filter, lets see how this works.

The car only has 95K miles on it so i doubt there is much in it.
          wat?

Comment

i guess on my next oil change i'll have to try this too then.

Comment

yes but use a magnet in a Hard drive since they are the strongest I belive you can get

Comment

There are stronger ones, WAYY stronger. As in, you'll rip the filter off the block strong.
                But I think those little suckers should be plenty. You can bang up your fingers with 'em if you're not careful.
                I do have a spare drive, so maybe I'll try it, too. I'll see what 7,000 miles builds up.
                Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

I really dont get the point of this. The Filter is suppose to catch those metal particles anyway. If you still have metal particles in your oil, I would strongly suggest getting a better filter. From Experience the best filters out there are MOBILE 1(blue one) OEM HONDA and if you cant get either of those get Puralator.

Fram is Shit, Bosch and any other autozone filters just suck.

Comment

This is a sound theory. If you want a good magnet source try United Nuclear.

Originally posted by deevergote
                    When you have to take a leak, and someone's in the bathroom, isn't it proper to piss in the fridge?

Comment

I've discussed this a long time ago, don't think anyone remembers or even thinks of it. Its an Earth magnet, very strong. I did it to my Integra, haven't checked but I'm sure its trapping in any metal particles (if any). The metal drain plugs aren't strong, try the plugs from SuperPlug.Com.

Link 1

Link 2

Comment

ive had the drain plug magnets and it works pretty good i see some metal stuff every oil changed so i guess it works ok

Comment

magnets on oil pan?
                          i need to install a transmission one, its been sitting in my room for like two years
                          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                          X