Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major car wont start problem. Please help :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major car wont start problem. Please help :)

Ok guys new problem as of today. I started my car moved it 150 -200 feet and now it will not restart! I can pop start it (getting it rolling and pop the clutch) But now when i turn the car off the box under the passenger seat start making a very unhealthy buzz/vibration. And will not stop unless i unplug it. I can also turn the key to where the dummy lights come on(one click before starting) and they are bright. When i try and start the car the lights go dim and i get crazy clicking from what seems to be behind the gage cluster. Also after i pop start it it runs good but when i hit the brakes all the gages and radio flash off for a fraction of a sec! It almost look like a flash bulb flashed. What in gods name can cause this? Also i have had no problems at all up till today. I do drive it everyday. So hit me up with some idea. Thanks.

your alternator is freakin dead. replace it. i know this cus ive been in these kind of situations.
    miss my turbo cb7
    moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Well i though about that too but the fact im driving at night headlights are bright and car is running good. If it was not charging the car should be dead by now or atleast id think so. But never the less i will take it to autozone and have it tested. Any other idea's?

Comment

thats the only problem that could be with it. when your driving everything works fine, as soon as your on idle, most of it is not. take it and get it tested. they will tell you if you need one.
        miss my turbo cb7

Comment

I get what your saying, but even at idle its running great headlights are not going dim or anything. Its just that split sec i tap the breaks where everything goes off and comes right back on. IF the alternator was out or going out you should be able to feel and see the difference with lights going dim and getting bright again when you give it gas. And the car wont run if the alternator and battery are dead. But like i said i will get it tested tomorrow at autozone but it just dont seem like it would be the problem. I mean just the fact nothing dims makes me think the alternator is fine.

Comment

well when you pin point the problem, post it up.
            miss my turbo cb7

Comment

Oh no doubt.. I mean this is the strangest thing ive even seen. I was thinking starter and that may be ?? I hit it a few times while a friend tryed to crank it and all it did was make a ticking noise (No noise prior to me hitting it with a screw driver). I dont know im like lost here.
              Last edited by Gettin_faster91; 05-24-2007, 11:35 PM.

Comment

hmmm...i dont think it would be the alternator in your situation...more likely your starter. I've also had this wierdass situation happen too...but what's wierdER is that along with the clickity click noise..my odometer (miles) were literally just scrolling up higher numbers.

But if it's the clicking noise i think you're talkin about. When you try to crank the car...it makes the clicky noise.
                THEN, it's your Starter for sure, Get a new one. NOT as hard to change as the alternator, even though i haven't done that yet.

EDIT: OH, and i would NOT suggest getting advice and such from Autozone....i mean yeah of course they give out FREE diagnostic tests...But that's the thing, the reason it's free is cuz they dont really know their shit. IF they were to make you pay for the test and still dont know jack shit...they'd get raped by their customers cuz they're mostly NOT 100% sure on their diagnostic skillz. In other words, THEY SUCK!
                Last edited by Djmoua; 05-25-2007, 01:19 PM.

*Needs*
                -New shocks
                -Struts
                -Drop
                -Cleaning
                -New Tires/Wheels
                -New Window Tint
                -Alot more lovin'

My Panda:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ghlight=Djmoua

Comment

Update Problem solved for the time being.

All these problems were caused from the stater going bad, Some how the starter solenoid shorted its self out internaly and kick the battery's ass at the same time. So one starter and battery later im up and running. The 80 amp alternator was tested and was putting out 14 volts and 73 amp's So it is slightly below par but for a 16 year old alternator it's hanging in there pretty damn good. Total cost for todays repairs ran about $90 bucks total and i get some back with core charges. And about five hours trying to test and fix the problems. That's not to bad for a days work. Hope this can help out future cb7tuners problems when everything starts going haywire! Also found out today a cb7 can drive without a battery for a long time lol. Well off to auto zone i go to get my core money back for the battery!!! Have a great extended weekend! Oh and in responce to autozone yeah most of the people suck but im in good with the manager and he's a great guy and really knows his shit. He is the one i have test all my stuff and if he's not there at the time i leave and come back later. Hector from autozone kicks ass!!
                  Last edited by Gettin_faster91; 05-25-2007, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettin_faster91
                    All these problems were caused from the stater going bad, Some how the starter solenoid shorted its self out internaly and kick the battery's ass at the same time. So one starter and battery later im up and running. The 80 amp alternator was tested and was putting out 14 volts and 73 amp's So it is slightly below par but for a 16 year old alternator it's hanging in there pretty damn good. Total cost for todays repairs ran about $90 bucks total and i get some back with core charges. And about five hours trying to test and fix the problems. That's not to bad for a days work. Hope this can help out future cb7tuners problems when everything starts going haywire! Also found out today a cb7 can drive without a battery for a long time lol. Well off to auto zone i go to get my core money back for the battery!!! Have a great extended weekend! Oh and in responce to autozone yeah most of the people suck but im in good with the manager and he's a great guy and really knows his shit. He is the one i have test all my stuff and if he's not there at the time i leave and come back later. Hector from autozone kicks ass!!
                    i have a question..

When ur lights began to dim while driving did u ever get to the point where the car would not start?

Currently my car will not hold charge. . simple answer "alternator." Buuuut, earlier today my car was dead, so i had to push start it, everything was fine, drive fine and everything, then when i came to a red light, i tapped the brakes and the whole radio shutting off, clock flashes off thing happened. Could this be a combo problem.. alternator and starter? i'm gonna head out and check my alternator voltage in a bit.. wait. my car won't start.. damn
                    -:¦:-
                    Originally posted by wed3k
                    i rep cb7tuner all day, everyday. people say, "fuck y0 honda." and i say, "bitch, please."

Comment

Did you happen to jump start anyone latley? Thats what mine was doing! And a few days earler i jumpstarted a friends car. But something happend and killed my battery. I though it killed my starter because it was acting like a short! Tap the breaks and the shit cut off for a split sec but was fine. Just take the car to autozone let them hook up the alt/bat tester. Im sure its just a bad battery. But i did change my starter too << dont think i needed it really but oh well, its not like it was a big deal. But i bet ya $50 bucks its just the battery. Good luck man.

Comment

yeh i'm lost.. i've got a yellow top optima, and the voltmeter reads 10.22 . . low. I got a push start, car ran till i came to a stop and decided to see what would happen if i pushed the brakes down hard (car died, no power, what so ever) then i got a jump start, car ran fine, still had the lil flashes at all the stops .. when i got home. i turned off the car took the keys out of the ignition.. let it sit for a few, got out popped the hood, went back in the car put the keys in the ignition, dash lights were dim and car wouldn't start. I have a feeling it's a freak break down, both my starter and my alternator?.. i'm sad
                        i rep cb7tuner all day, everyday. people say, "fuck y0 honda." and i say, "bitch, please."

Comment

Pull of your alternator shouldnt take long. Does it at least try to turn over or not? I would check your battery if its not holding charge. It could just have some dead cells in there. You can check your alternator if you want also. Most parts stores will check batt and alternator for free. So yea do the easy stuff first and go from there.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          I piss off people for fun.
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Volts seem fine for a battery that not being charged but its the amps that you need to fire up the beast. Just let them test it out and you will know. Hell if you have another car sitting around borrow the battery from a friends/ parents car and swap it in and see if it starts. Once i started mine i drove it without the battery for about 6 miles to autozone lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettin_faster91
                              Volts seem fine for a battery that not being charged but its the amps that you need to fire up the beast. Just let them test it out and you will know. Hell if you have another car sitting around borrow the battery from a friends/ parents car and swap it in and see if it starts. Once i started mine i drove it without the battery for about 6 miles to autozone lol.

shiiet! i didn't think of that.. hahah

i'm already pulling off my alternator and swapping out for one in a project cb7.. or if i can get a ride imma go pick one up from auto part store

Comment

Working...
                              X