Broken Bolt, Large Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Bolt, Large Problem

So taking off the rocker assembly. Had one broken bolt, drilled it out and extracted it. Got a new bolt, good to go. Had the whole assembly back on and broke another bolt. (Well my step dad did) Anyways, took off the assembly drilled into this bolt, and good to go. Hammer in the extractor twist... and SNAP. The extractor broke flush inside the bolt inside the head. The extractor is odd shaped along the top and can't be driled into easily since it's so hard. Anything to do besides machine shop? And this just plain sucks... how the hell does an extractor break.
    Click for my ride thread.

Originally posted by ilovemycb7
    ... how the hell does an extractor break.
    When its a cheap brand...LOL.. That sux man.

Comment

that suxs im having the same problem with a head stud that stripped.
      my homie has fucked up 3 in less than 3 hrs...

ttt i need help too,I dont wanna waste bandwith lol
      1991 Sedan

click image for MRT
      -Nava

Comment

how did you break the bolts off, taking the rocker arm off? when i was removing mine to change lower tube seals, i had no problems with any of the bolts

Comment

Well they are supposed to be at 18 ft lbs, and my step dad accidently over tq'd it. B/c we don't have a tq wrench, and it's been 25 years so his "feel" is slightly off apparently.

I didn't buy it, I borrowed it from my neighbor who has everything, and I'm pretty sure he didn't cheap out. B/c it's not really weak, I borrowed high quality snap on tools from my other neighbor (honda mechanic) and used a sleeve to line it up straight and the drill bit to fit inside but it didn't do any damage to the extractor.

It's easy to get them out... as long as the extractors don't break.

Well I'm young and I've got AAA from my parentals. So I'll have it towed (for free) to a machine shop I guess.

Comment

Yeah, so the machine shop would be a few hundred bucks. And they want the head taken out, so I would be better off swapping in a H23 head or just another F22ax head. However, my step dad has been calling around and I'm gonna try just getting a very hard tipped bit that should go through it... and hopefully not into the head. PITA though.

Comment

Try using the reverse threaded extractors. they tend to break less than the ones you used.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
              JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Well we got a very hard drill bit. And it didn't do anything, so now my step dad used loctite type stuff to glue it down... I'm kinda mad.

But the rocker arms are adjusted wrong, so I'm still not driving it. Luckily my mom is out of town.

Comment

Working...
                X