failed carbon monoxide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

failed carbon monoxide

Does anyone have any quick tips for me, I just went in for inspection and my "new" CB7 failed for CO. I would like to do all I can tonight to make it more likely to pass when they run a diagnostic tomorrow. Are there any fairly easy things I can clean out tonight?

Thanks,
    Kit

I googled it and got this:
    http://home.att.net/~CapriClubChicag.../SmogFaq5.html

I'd suggest to start forum-hopping, searching for "emissions." I'm sure it'll turn up something.

Comment

Try that "Guaranteed to Pass" stuff from pep boys, I think its mostly isopropyl (aka rubbing alcohol). Also make sure your cat is fully warmed up (dont shut off the car before the test) and make sure your plugs are in good shape.
      -Josh

1996 Accord EX Coupe 5-speed

Comment

I'll get some new plugs, wires and fuel additive and see if that can clear anything up. I know it could also could use a new fuel filter, but I don't really want to do that tonight. Unortunately I can't do anything about the cold cat as I have to leave it with them for them to do it, they do a whole emissions and safety equipment check here in Texas.

Thanks for the help
        Kit

Comment

high CO generally indicates a rich condition. I'd try replacing the O2 sensor and do a tune-up. If that doesn't work then its probably a bad cat.
          00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

yeah, I've been thinking it's been running rich (tailpipe seems to blacken faster than it should) the O2 sensor's a good idea.

I've always considered a tune up: fuel/air filter, plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor. Any other suggestions for a 13 year old car that has had a really easy life up to now, with somewhat lax routine maintinence.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedFreak03
              Try that "Guaranteed to Pass" stuff from pep boys, I think its mostly isopropyl (aka rubbing alcohol). Also make sure your cat is fully warmed up (dont shut off the car before the test) and make sure your plugs are in good shape.
              id try to steer away from this, if u have a problem an additive wont really help.

spark plugs probably fouled due to rich running car...

iono what else...i usually drive the shit out of mine, like past redline before smog
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Yea thats true, but sometimes because of mods (like hi-flo cat, etc) you dont pass. I wasn't sure if he was stock or not. Anyway a full tune-up, including O2 sensor, would be a good idea first. If you still fail, then you gotta do what you gotta do .
                -Josh

Comment

completely stock, I pulled my plugs and they looked fine. The cat's probably crap considering that it's 188K old, I should price out a new one I suppose.

Through honda a new O2 sensor will run me upwards of $225, is there any generic brand worth checking out for cheaper?

Otherwise I'll just have to see wich between the cat and O2 sensor is cheaper and hope it solves my problem.

Comment

I'd just go to an exhaust shop and let them weld a new cat in there, unless you know how to weld. It shouldn't be more than $200 altogether. The O2 sensor can be bought at http://www.manhonda.com for less than $100 (actually $50-70). Try this: go under your car, and knock on the cat. If you hear anything rattle (you probably will) then you need a new one.
                    -Josh

Comment

my cat has 180k on it and i pass emmisions like new.

spray throttle body cleaner to clean off the carbon off of the valves and pistons.

do some stuff try again, if not get it diagnosed
                      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
                        ...do some stuff try again, if not get it diagnosed
                        Oregon rocks because you can go through as many times as you want and you only pay once it passes (one of the guys I talked to said thier record was some 279 times), here in texas though you only get one free inspection within 15 days of it failing the first time.

Comment

Working...
                        X