violent vibrations leads to violent stalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

violent vibrations leads to violent stalls

i have an automatic 1990 cb7 w/ about 149k miles on it. last night, it started to act like i've never seen before. it all started when i was drving to a friends house when all of a sudden, it just started to sputter. bad. like, when i would stop @ a red light and i had to go, it seems like the engine is stuggling under 2400rpm when i had to give it some gas. anything above 3k it rides normally. i noticed that the engine temp. was off the line (past the "H") so i went over to my friends house to see what was wrong, and we thought it had to do something w/ the radiaitor. filled it up w/ water, but it really didn't do much help b/c we found out that my radiaitor hose that leads into the engine was leaking. i dont know if that's the problem but i noticed that after i did some more driving around, that the oil light came on when the it died on me. so i went in my friends car to get some oil, bought 2 quarts and filled it in.

it ran fine.

untill later on last night. it kept bogging and sputtering on me while i was trying to get home. so i was thinking today if i should do an engine flush and an oil change. i also wanna find some radiator leak fluid. would that help? i really wanna get to that hose, but its pretty hard to get access to it. what should i do?

Uh oh. Oil light means one thing....oil pressure. A number of things can cause a lack of oil pressure, but pretty much, if you're not leaking oil, then it's probably the oil pump. Your engine is probably sputtering because it has nothing lubricating it. I would um....have it towed to a dealership.

Someone else wanna throw in their two bits?

Comment

which hoze are u talking about? the short one that goes from the top of the radiator tot he engine or the long one that goes from the bottom of the radiator to the engine block????
      since u were runnig ur car hot with the temp over the H then probably blew the gasket that goes between the engine block and the head(that is what happens when u run the car very hot)

2. or u ran the car without oil>>>> meaning u fucked up ur poston rings

3. maybe u got a broke a valve. >>>>>from what u discribed it seems so. when u have a lot of vibration from the engine and u can't accelerate fast for the first 2600rpms>>>>> that is a broken valve symptom.
      this all means that u only got 3 piston working and not 4
      this is how u check the last one.
      while the car is on take the spark plugs wire one at the time. if u feel any difference while u take on then it means that piston is ok.
      if u don't feel any difference then it means that somethig wrong with that piston.
      or u can do a compresion tes.
      good luck
      are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Does it smoke at all? How long did you drive it hot? Being as these engines are aluminum, it doesn't have to run hot for very long to blow the head gasket. Change that leaking hose, coolant, and the oil, and see what happens.
        00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

dont do a engine flush!!!!!! DO NOT DO THIS<----------------!!!

when the engine is warm feel the upper radiator hose, then feel the lower one, if the upper one is hot and the lower is cold ur thermostat is bad, change it..

as for the stallin issue iono oil pump?

change the stuff and reinstall....new stuff...change that oil filter.

see what happends
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

dont do a engine flush!!!!!! DO NOT DO THIS<----------------!!!

when the engine is warm feel the upper radiator hose, then feel the lower one, if the upper one is hot and the lower is cold ur thermostat is bad, change it..

as for the stallin issue iono oil pump?

change the stuff and reinstall....new stuff...change that oil filter.

see what happends
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

thanks guys,ok here's what i did:

- replaced the leaking radiator hose
              - replaced the air filter (might as well)
              - replaced the thermostat (found out that the previous one was missing a preloaded sprong)
              - changed oil
              - drained/flushed/filled the radiator

and after all that, it still sputters pretty bad which leads to dramatic shakes. like i've said before, it only sputters under 2300-2400rpm. oh, and i also found out that im leaking oil (i dont know from where) because i can auctually see smoke (not that heavy) when im @ a stop. tomorrow, i wanna find out where that damn oil is dripping from and change the spark plugs. any more suggestions?

Comment

well to me it sounds like u are running in 3 silinders. either u are not getting spark to one of the pistons or u got a broken exaust valve.
                check my first post and do what i told u to do.

i had the same symptoms when i had a broken exaust valve.
                (the car viabrates a lot and u can't accelerate. it drives ok if its over 35mph or more.)
                are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

i was just thinking the same thing.

last night i got a house call with this girl whos car stalls hella bad like if u were to slam on the clutch up and down...and then has no power, violently stalling in lower rpms...

i looked around and stuff then took out a spark plug, it was shot to shit. replaced them with some new ones and it ran fine.

have u checked urs? she replaced them sparks a year ago but they were some cheap ass brand "mighty power" hahahah...

its all good now...

id check there, take out them sparks and check...

u can also possibly check each spark if ur getting spark at all...i forgot how to do that though

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Originally posted by sothea_sun
                    thanks guys,ok here's what i did:

- replaced the leaking radiator hose
                    - replaced the air filter (might as well)
                    - replaced the thermostat (found out that the previous one was missing a preloaded sprong)
                    - changed oil
                    - drained/flushed/filled the radiator

and after all that, it still sputters pretty bad which leads to dramatic shakes. like i've said before, it only sputters under 2300-2400rpm. oh, and i also found out that im leaking oil (i dont know from where) because i can auctually see smoke (not that heavy) when im @ a stop. tomorrow, i wanna find out where that damn oil is dripping from and change the spark plugs. any more suggestions?
                    Goddamit Sothea, I told you not to drive your car that day until you get it fixed. Its been overheating and I told you not to drive it like that. You probably warped the cylinders or something.
                    Thats what you get.
                    Say something....what....Say something! .......thats what I thought.
                    Attached Files
                    Nothing like a 3S-GTE!

Comment

Working...
                    X