Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ticking still persists after valve lash adj.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Otto
    Well perhaps me and tanNn2koo will have to recheck the lash as wed3k suggested.
    I did mine 22k miles ago, so I'll probably do it again before next winter and see what happens.

it's raining balls here, so i don't even have the chance to look at it

Comment

Yeah its crazy weather. I'm waiting for spring to get here so I can work on the brakes.
      I don't even plan on removing the valve cover till its been 50k miles. Actually, the valve cover gasket seems to be seeping. If it gets worse then I'll check the lash and replace the gasket (again).
      Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

pfft, i did suspension in the rain
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by tanNn2koo
          after changing my lower spark plug tube seals, i finished off with the valve lash adjustment. i checked, re-checked, then checked again for the correct spacing with a feeler gauge. after putting things back together and starting the car, everything seemed fine; good idle, engine noise was fine, and the car ran nice. about a day later, the ticking came back. noticeable at idle, and during acceleration between 0-3K RPM (probably persists throughout the powerband, but i just cant hear it anymore after 3K). it's a pretty loud tick, but not VERY loud. with the window down, i can hear it more vividly. i figured this was alright, it should only last about a week for the valves to set-in. so, 2-3 weeks later now, it seems like it's even worse. should i do another adjustment and go from there? or could it be something else? i will try to get a video clip to help explain better.
          Yes, do valve adjustment when engine is fully cold. However, even then you may still get valve tick after adjustment, I have many times in servicing our 6 family cb7's. I feel it is caused by the valvetrain being adjusted and needing to wear itself in. Usually it will wear itself in over time, on the other hand my red Accord makes a valve tick sound but part of the sound is from an exhaust manifold gasket leak (we'll see if it quiets down after I replace that). I feel you double checked your valve lash, you're fine, just how your motor wears in man, no worries, can be annoying but as long as you know things are in check that's what really matters.
          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
            pfft, i did suspension in the rain
            i've done suspension in rain/snow too

Comment

well this is the main reason that i don't want to do the lower tube seals. and trust me my ex really really needs it.
              are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Originally posted by alb_accord
                well this is the main reason that i don't want to do the lower tube seals. and trust me my ex really really needs it.

if you do it right, it should yield good results.

see, as i thought i had done them wrong (even after checking and re-checking), turns out the ticking stopped just about 3 days ago, at least the loudness of it. i still experience the notorious Honda tick, but it's not as loud as i mentioned in the first post. i'd say do the adjustment as perfect as you can, and give it 3-4 weeks to settle in. if the ticking still persists, go ahead and do it again. it took mine about 3-4 weeks to quiet down, and i also get about 1-2 more MPG

Comment

Working...
                X