Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ticking still persists after valve lash adj.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ticking still persists after valve lash adj.

after changing my lower spark plug tube seals, i finished off with the valve lash adjustment. i checked, re-checked, then checked again for the correct spacing with a feeler gauge. after putting things back together and starting the car, everything seemed fine; good idle, engine noise was fine, and the car ran nice. about a day later, the ticking came back. noticeable at idle, and during acceleration between 0-3K RPM (probably persists throughout the powerband, but i just cant hear it anymore after 3K). it's a pretty loud tick, but not VERY loud. with the window down, i can hear it more vividly. i figured this was alright, it should only last about a week for the valves to set-in. so, 2-3 weeks later now, it seems like it's even worse. should i do another adjustment and go from there? or could it be something else? i will try to get a video clip to help explain better.

Do another adjustment and make sure its tightened down. It might have vibrated loose and backed out a bit.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Have you checked your timing lately????

Comment

I Gotz The Same Problem, Only I Took Mine to a Shop and I Cant Tell A Difference in Sound. And How Do U Check Timing on A Aftermarket Flywheel. Is There Some Other Way???
        "Black92Accord's NEW Acura TSX"

W/ Navi But Auto
        -----------------------------
        SOLD
        1992 Honda Accord EX 2dr. With a 5speed Manual Trans, Black Exterior with Black/Tan Interior
        SOLD

Comment

I have the same flywheel problem i am getting an h23 2day and when i take my tranny off the f22 i am gna mark my lightend flywheel with a dremel and fingernail polish... i have had this fuckn pingn problem sense i started don bolt-ons.. so maybe could fix all of our problems!!!! Or maybe a good tune would make it go away!!!
          Last edited by wnt_2b_boosted; 04-14-2007, 12:19 PM. Reason: forgot a sentence

Comment

Injectorssss

Comment

Originally posted by vi.descending
              Injectorssss
              Word your car is 14-17 years old.... Don't expect to not hear a slight bit of noise....

Keep an Eye on my Coupe. Click the Pic

Comment

Originally posted by tresexohcb
                Word your car is 14-17 years old.... Don't expect to not hear a slight bit of noise....

it's more then slight, and i also hear a whirring behind the valve cover

Comment

Originally posted by tanNn2koo
                  it's more then slight, and i also hear a whirring behind the valve cover

Wiki definition: Whirring, a sound that sounds like "wheeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr". Most compairable with the sound a dial up modem makes.

lol
                  I cant Slam further. The ground refuses to get any lower.

Comment

Originally posted by vi.descending
                    Injectorssss
                    Injectors Make Ticking Noises???
                    "Black92Accord's NEW Acura TSX"

W/ Navi But Auto
                    -----------------------------
                    SOLD
                    1992 Honda Accord EX 2dr. With a 5speed Manual Trans, Black Exterior with Black/Tan Interior
                    SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Black92AccordEX
                      Injectors Make Ticking Noises???
                      Well they do make a tiny ticking noise (it is a solenoid after all), but apparently they can be loud enough to hear over the engine. I was surprised myself when I first read about it.

My engine makes a small whirring noise, its cause by the timing or balance shaft belt being too tight. And it also makes a bit of a ticking noise when cold and below 3,000 rpm, when when the temps are below 30F or so, it becomes more of a knock and as the engine warms it goes back to a tick, and eventually goes away.

Also, a valve adjustment did nothing to help any noise, nor did different oil.

I thought the F22 top ends were just naturally noisy?
                      Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

check your spark plug wires... i know one of mine was messed up and not connected all the way, but it sitll worked but it just gave a nasty tick.

Comment

Originally posted by Otto
                          Well they do make a tiny ticking noise (it is a solenoid after all), but apparently they can be loud enough to hear over the engine. I was surprised myself when I first read about it.

My engine makes a small whirring noise, its cause by the timing or balance shaft belt being too tight. And it also makes a bit of a ticking noise when cold and below 3,000 rpm, when when the temps are below 30F or so, it becomes more of a knock and as the engine warms it goes back to a tick, and eventually goes away.

Also, a valve adjustment did nothing to help any noise, nor did different oil.

I thought the F22 top ends were just naturally noisy?
                          they are...

make sure you adjust them to the miniimum minimum clearance when the engine is ICE COLD.

thats what i found had the best results.
                          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

One of the injector solenoids in my Skyline ticks like a bastard on startup. Its a Nissan thing.

And yes, to my experience the f series engines are just, well, noisy. You cant get rid of all of the goofy noises they make.

Comment

Well perhaps me and tanNn2koo will have to recheck the lash as wed3k suggested.
                              I did mine 22k miles ago, so I'll probably do it again before next winter and see what happens.
                              Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Working...
                              X