Inspecting timing belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspecting timing belt

OK. Just curious if I can inspect the belt on a H22 without having to take the crank pulley off. Also is it true that the crank pulley has to come off to change the timing belt?

1. Remove upper timing cover.
    2. Yes.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

You can look at the belt all you want, but you cannot tell if it is in danger of breaking any time soon. They do not crack and split like normal drive belts. They may look fine upon inspection, but then just snap with no warning. This is the reason why it is recommended to replace them every 6 years or 90K miles.
      00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

meaning if you didn't change that belt before and if you don't know if anyone before you has or has not changed that belt, then its a good idea to change it.
        are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

if you replace the belt, it would be a good idea to replace your water pump and the balance belt as well, and if any seals are leaking, might want to change those also.
          Members Ride

Comment

Originally posted by mrhonda
            You can look at the belt all you want, but you cannot tell if it is in danger of breaking any time soon. They do not crack and split like normal drive belts. They may look fine upon inspection, but then just snap with no warning. This is the reason why it is recommended to replace them every 6 years or 90K miles.
            Wow! That's a good point condering mine was done 60K miles ago in 1997.
            I guess I'm gonna have to budget in some repair dollars this year.
            1992 Accord Coupe 5-Speed

Comment

Working...
            X