Results from my Free 40 Point Inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Results from my Free 40 Point Inspection

I took advantage of the Honda Car Care Month free car inspection and was quoted for the following repairs:

Recommendations:
    Rt Axle Seal Leaking
    Rt frt axle internal failure
    Valve cover gasket leaking
    Distributor Shaft Seal Leaking
    Rt Mirror Damaged
    Air Filter Dirty
    quote: $1200 - $1500 +tax and s/s
    I'm thinking that I can replace the valve cover gasket - though it was replaced only 19K miles ago (4 years ago), and the distributor shaft seal myself - they're both straightforward from what I understand? The mirror is easy (I've been looking for a new one). The air filter is a laugh, since I just replaced it 2 months ago.

What about the front axle seal and front axle? Are either of these safety issues, or can I drive it until they fail? I presume that if the axle fails, it will either seize or fall out, either of which would be a problem?

For what it's worth, I drive about 250 miles a weekend, but only on the weekend, and entirely highway miles. Thanks for the advice!

god those are so inflated...i feel for anyone who pays that.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

just replace the entire axle you can get it for $90 with core from auto zone lol the hardest part of removing the axle is the 36mm axle nut lol

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
      1992 Accord EX Coupe
      My FS Thread
      Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
      Originally posted by deevergote
      Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

Wait, this is just the CV axle? And if so, I presume when a shop replaces the axle, they also replace the seal? There's a scribbled note on the printout that says "right c.v boot start start to worn, not the right one, also axle seal leaks."

I was seriously considering selling the car, based on the quote from the dealer - $1500 + s/s is more than the car is worth to me, but if it's a r/r rt cv axle - that's only $200 or so at a shop...

Am I'm confusing the axle with the CV joint?

Time to head to my own mechanic...

Comment

the axle seal is the seal in the transmission where the axle goes into...they shouldn't charge you much more labor then just replacing the cv axle...maybe about 0.3 hrs more...but to answer your question, the CV axle is seperate from the axle itself.
          "I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think I can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy." --President John F. Kennedy

ASE Master Automotive Technician
          ASE Master Med/Heavy Truck Technician
          US Navy Electrician
          Contact me if you need help on the side.
          '92 Accord DX (For Sale)
          '01 Civic LX
          '00 Tahoe

Greatest Rally Video Ever

Comment

Shortly: its not worth selling the car over.
            If its a bad CV joint, it'll eventually start clicking when turning, and eventually fail and it will just spin freely. Not too bad, just inconvenient.
            Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

lol....drive to Michigan, i'll do all that for half price! hahaha
              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

if you don't feel like selling either one of your testicles i would do it yourself or go somewhere else. i don't think any of those things are worth a thousand dollars. good luck bro.
                hey. my cb7 has morphed. haha.

Comment

crazy money haha ripp off= dealers

Comment

Tech's gotta eat too.
                    Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

im going tomorrow for my inspection

Comment

I've been waiting for one of these threads How I love inflated delaer prices
                        1993 Accord LX - Sold
                        93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                        92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                        2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                        2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                        2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                        2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                        2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

heh, I thought you guys migt enjoy the prices. Initially, she told me it would be $2K on the phone, but the paper quote is only $1200 to $1500.

Seriously though, does anyone know about the safety need to repair the axle and seal? I need my car this weekend again, and if I should have this repaired before I travel, I'd like to drop it off at my mechanic.

Comment

You should be fine as long as you're not traveling a long distance or high speeds. If it breaks, it should not damage anything, you just won't be able to go anywhere. :P But get the CV shaft replaced soon, the other things aren't mandatory imo.
                            My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85
                              You should be fine as long as you're not traveling a long distance or high speeds. If it breaks, it should not damage anything, you just won't be able to go anywhere. :P But get the CV shaft replaced soon, the other things aren't mandatory imo.
                              Yeah, 130 miles, all highway...

Comment

Working...
                              X