Refinishing Rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refinishing Rotors

I'm getting some pulsating when braking and I noticed I have about 22mm of rotor left on my front wheels....is that enough to refinish them or do they need to be replaced?

since the front rotors are such a PIA to get off, it would be cheaper to replace them, and not resurface them.

Comment

Agreed. Plus the quotes I've gotten to resurface them (both removed and while still installed) were over $100. A new pair from Honda is 80ish dollars if I remember correctly.
      Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

you can resurface the rotors while they are still on the car.. at least we do it at my work. (trentvalleyhonda]

Its just a machine you attach to your hub. and it spins the rotors around while cutting them. you hav eto take off the caliper and. everything.

Call your local dealership see if they have one of these machines. its cheaperthen buying new... sometimes.
        My Ride...

Comment

That's what I would've done...but the only person local that can do it wants $110.
          Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Originally posted by 93_EXR.
            you can resurface the rotors while they are still on the car.. at least we do it at my work. (trentvalleyhonda]

Its just a machine you attach to your hub. and it spins the rotors around while cutting them. you hav eto take off the caliper and. everything.

Call your local dealership see if they have one of these machines. its cheaperthen buying new... sometimes.
            x2. There is a lathe made for hondas so you dont have to take off the front rotor. Really nifty tool to have.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            I piss off people for fun.
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I guess I'll call a dealership since most shops won't have an on-car lathe

Comment

i just take mine off, only takes about 30 minutes, but i got it down hehe.

what i did was have 2 sets of rotors, if i resurface one set and have the other to ride on, when i need another set i just take one off and put the other one on and resurface the other one for next time. convienient.

if u take it off and take it to a shop to resurface they can tell you if its too thin and you just buy anotherh one.
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I found a shop that will use the on-car lathe for 75$....I think I'll try that and hope there's enough rotor left afterwards to last a little while.

Comment

Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors?

I wanted to know if the Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted rotors were resurfaceable? I have a pair on the front of my car and I think they need to be resurfaced. Is there a tool I can use to measure the thickness and tell if they need to be resurfaced or not? Sorry, I didn't mean the thread jack. My question was similar so I decided not to make a new thread with the same question.

Comment

I just used a caliper and measured the thickness and came up with an approximate number that way. Minimum refinishing thickness is 21mm for OEM rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by Dionysis24BXT
                        I wanted to know if the Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted rotors were resurfaceable? I have a pair on the front of my car and I think they need to be resurfaced. Is there a tool I can use to measure the thickness and tell if they need to be resurfaced or not? Sorry, I didn't mean the thread jack. My question was similar so I decided not to make a new thread with the same question.
                        I don't suggest resurfacing slotted or dimpled or drilled or w/e it may be called. Since the structure is already weakened via drilling/slotting taking more from the rotor doesn't sound like a bright idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Dionysis24BXT
                          i used to have a 91 civic 4 door with crossed drilled rotors, and resurfaced them fine with no problems at all.
                          The beginning of a new era............................
                          165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
                          184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

Originally posted by arctichonda
                            I just used a caliper and measured the thickness and came up with an approximate number that way. Minimum refinishing thickness is 21mm for OEM rotors.
                            you from kali?? if you are, i'll resurface them for you at home. i have a kwik lathe. it was only 1500 dollars.(expensive as fuck)
                            The beginning of a new era............................
                            165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
                            184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

Working...
                            X