A/C removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C removal

has anyone removed there a/c system? i want to remove mine but im curious as to the dangers and what not by doing this myself. also if u have what size belt will i need to get? i've searched and cant find anything.

Search. The dangerous part is removing the freon thats it. Take it to a shop to get that shit drawn out. Then the rest is self explanatory.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

so i guess just cutting one of the lines and letting it drain into a bucket or something is outta the question? i cant drive it bc its not legal.

Comment

I don't see why it's "not legal" as long as nobody sees you draining the freon into the atmosphere, but if you still have freon in the system do the planet a favor and have it removed at a shop. As far as "a bucket" approach it's mostly a gas, so that's out of the question.

However; if you're system if long drained of any freon you just remove the compressor and any lines going from it, super easy, I did it on my coupe and removed a ton of weight that was completely useless.
        I read somewhere that marijuana effects the memory. For some reason I can't seem remember where I read that. -- max sideburn(aka torqstr)

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

CB7: The Movie TEASER VIDEO

Comment

when asking for the belt, just say u need a alt. belt with no a/c
          Project M3 - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=157903
          -(B-Pillar Bar Originator)-

Comment

Originally posted by cali-racer
            when asking for the belt, just say u need a alt. belt with no a/c
            in other words...a DX model :o

i got mine off ebay for like 10 bucks shipped.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by Torqstr
              I don't see why it's "not legal" as long as nobody sees you draining the freon into the atmosphere, but if you still have freon in the system do the planet a favor and have it removed at a shop. As far as "a bucket" approach it's mostly a gas, so that's out of the question.
              i mean my car isnt legal to drive. its not registered nor inspected

k cool. im pretty sure i have very little freon left in there. it blows cool not cold.

Anyone feel a difference in performance?

Comment

not very noticable

Comment

is there anything i need to know before removing the ac and all the lines? i've read the haynes manual for removing most of the parts but it doesnt say anything bout what will happen if i dont hook it back up. it assumes im replacing it not removing it. are there any electrical parts that i need to be aware of in removing the entire system?

Comment

nothing will happen...just buy a belt with no a/c.

Comment

First off, why would you want to remove the A/C system?

Either way, DO NOT open the system if it still contains freon! The second you pull off or cut a line that gas will explode out. Take it to a shop and have it evacuated properlly. Hell...freon is worth so much money these days, they might even pay you for it.
                      00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

seriously???? even the r-134a, i thought the older r-12 was expensive
                        "You don't have to be a Phi Beta Kappa to know not to strip-search a girl who is accused of stealing change,"

I did gagoogity that girl. I gashmoigitied her gaflavity with my googis. And I am sorry.

Comment

Both have gone up in price within the past year.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          I piss off people for fun.
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

yea just take it too the shop and have the free-on removed....i just pulled my ac last weekend.......pretty easy....basically just remove all the lines compressor condensor blah blah
                            My Members Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by mrhonda
                              First off, why would you want to remove the A/C system?

Either way, DO NOT open the system if it still contains freon! The second you pull off or cut a line that gas will explode out. Take it to a shop and have it evacuated properlly. Hell...freon is worth so much money these days, they might even pay you for it.
                              LMFAO its worth so much that they wanted me to pay them $60 to discharge the system. it wont explode out either, simply use the valve stem that is on the line. wasnt hard.

ok I removed the easy lines and what not. how do i get the ones out from the firewall. im having trouble removing the black plastic box behind the glove box.

would it be bad to run the engine with the lines detached with the compressor still hooked up to the pulley?
                              Last edited by VBaccord24; 04-12-2007, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X