Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaking under acceleration

Just started today:
    I can put the car into gear just fine however starting with 2nd gear the car shakes horribly under acceleration. I changed to 3rd still shaking, Im reluctant to take it to 4 or 5 because the shaking is so bad. When I let off the gas the shaking stops immediatly, when I press it, the shaking starts back up immediately. I've already checked loose lugnuts. I wouldnt think it would be my CV joints since its such a sudden occurance. Im thinking it might be a loose pressure plate or something wrong with my clutch/flywheel? There are no transmission places open today because theres a blizzard! So i cant get anyone to look at it till tomarrow.

Any ideas?

Motor mounts would be a good thing to check. Bushings around the suspension area too but I would see engine mount first.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

well if its not anything transmission related, the next thing i would say is suspension. things like tie rods, bad ball joints, etc. so many things can make a car shake its hard to point out one thing.

Comment

The reason Im thinking its transmission relating is becuase it doesnt do it during idle. I can rev in idle and everything is cool. Im going to check the mounts but its not shaking in idle I dunno if it would be the mounts...kinda hard to check the mounts while driving.

You would think that if it were suspension related it would be happening while Im rollin in nuetral as well right? I suppose it could be axle related but why only under acceleration? Too much torque?

Comment

your engine might be bogging due to dirty injectors...try a fuel injection cleaner...this use to happen in one of my old cars when I step on the accelerator.
          DEVOTE

Comment

Originally posted by lokuputha
            your engine might be bogging due to dirty injectors...try a fuel injection cleaner...this use to happen in one of my old cars when I step on the accelerator.

I'll try dropping a few quarts of oil in it and getting some seafoam. Maybe that'll clean things up,

Comment

...does the shaking favor a side because I'm going through the same thing right now. I feel it on the right. I replaced some bushings that were bad, transaxle seal (due to leak), and made sure everything was tight. It went away for like 7 miles of driving, then it was back. i know for sure that my rear and driver side mounts are broken, and there's the complete lack of mount up front but i've been driving it like that for well over 1,000 miles and she ran strong with no shaking.

I examined the axle when I replaced the seal and it looked fine... but yesterday night the shaking got worse... now it clicks and pops like if the axle was bad....

dont know....

I know my tranny needs oil because it leaked a lot of it out, could it be that?
              R.I.P.

AzN VtEc PoWeR (6:38:35 PM): im gonna go shit in someones cereal

Comment

Put oil in your trans. Some reman axles arent good. They might look fine on the outside but inside is still fucked up. SOmetimes that can be it.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                I piss off people for fun.
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Your problem seems to most like be suspension related like tie rods,axles,etc.
                  Project EP hatch on the way

Comment

I would agree that both the people most likely have bad cv-axles. they will shake under acceleration, and will immediately stop when you let off the gas. The cv buckets get worn out over time, and then they start having a little play which causes the vibration.

Like NAiL05 said... some 'reman' axles are pretty much just plain crap.

Pretend this is your axle. If you hold onto one of the ends (the larger parts that would connect to the knuckle assy, and the transmission) and then try to rotate the axle shaft(in the middle); if you have any rotational play, they are worn out. It wont be all that much, it just takes a little.
                    Last edited by aero; 03-04-2007, 12:35 PM.

Comment

It is most likely your engine mounts.

Unfortunately, it is going to become a more common issue on this board due to the age/mileage of the CB7 fleet.

The axles will cause vibration, but not of the order that mad engine mounts will.

They don't have enough mass.

If the car is shaking, like it is going to fall apart going down the road, it is most likely one of your mounts.

The speed and severity of vibration depend on how bad they are, but it will generally start off feeling like a tire balance issue and then will progress to the point that if you accelerate, the car will shake so violently it is hard to read the guages.

The axle issue will be similar at first, except that you will feel it more in the steering wheel ( consequence of the knuckles being at one end of the axle) and it will never get to the severity of the mounts, because they don't weigh enough.
                      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Working...
                      X