Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Won't Start - Dash Lights Flicker Rapidly

[I tried to search, but received a memory allocation error message]

I went out to start my car this morning, and the car wouldn't start. It's a 90 Accord, bone stock. The battery and alternator were tested about 3 weeks ago, and were both within normal ranges.

When I try to start the car, the auto-seatbelts roll up over my shoulder, the radio turns on, the interior lights (clock, etc) come on (so the battery is still good), and when I turn the key there's a click, and then the dash lights flicker rapidly, and the car doesn't start.

Does anyone have any ideas? I should note we had a big snow/ice/sleet storm earlier this week, and I haven't tried to start the car in about 6 days.

Well i know one thing you could check is the starter....sometimes the brushes wear out and it needs to be replaced.

Pop the hood, get a screwdriver, have someone sit in the car. Tell them to try and start it, while they do that tap on the starter with the screwdriver....it will either start up right away or it wont. If it does its the starter, replace. if it doesnt start then its either dead or not your problem.

Check fuses too to make sure it isnt something small.

Hmmm thats all i can think of.

Comment

Sounds like a loose/bad battery connection.
      Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Originally posted by Otto
        Sounds like a loose/bad battery connection.
        x2 give that a look see first.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Thanks all, those that said it was battery connection issues were correct. I cleaned and tightened the connections on the battery, the car started right up.

Thanks for the fast help.

Comment

No prob. Glad it was easy and free for ya.
            When I was just starting to learn about cars, I had the same problem. Instead of checking simple stuff, I replaced the battery, only to have the terminals come loose again. Ya live and learn, and help others when ya can.
            Last edited by Otto; 02-17-2007, 08:00 PM.
            Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Originally posted by Otto
              No prob. Glad it was easy and free for ya.
              When I was just starting to learn about cars, I had the same problem. Instead of checking simple stuff, I replaced the battery, only to have the terminals to come loose again. Ya live and learn, and help others when ya can.

exactly. Thats an awesome attitude, i wish more peeps had that kind of attitude.

Anyways yea, keep those terminals clean and free of acid buildup.

You can clean it with vinegar or soda or get cleaner from da parts store.

I sprayed mine down, put the felt pads on there and it has been fine ever since.

Comment

thats an easy one lol.....it makes a horriable noise and then shes dead..bad ground wire ususally

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie
                  I sprayed mine down, put the felt pads on there and it has been fine ever since.
                  What function do the felt pads serve? I threw them away when I installed my new battery 3 years ago, now I'm thinking I should go buy some more.

Comment

lol, same thing again.

Is there a way to prevent the corrosion on the battery terminals?

Comment

Grease.

The New-ish Ride
                      My old Ride
                      Hear my Vtak!!!
                      MK3 Member #3
                      I piss off people for fun.
                      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                      X