Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C issues on 92 LX

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what exactly is wrong with my A/C. I can have the A/C switch on and the light lights up, but it doesnt sound like the compressor is turning on like it did previously.

I had someone take a quick glance at it and thought the condenser was bad but after reading the forums I'm wondering if it may be one of the A/C relays that has gone bad.

What should I check/look for? Any suggestions/tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

- Joe

Its either electrical or you have no refrigerant

Comment

I'm guessing electrical will be easier for me to troubleshoot, so what would be the best place to check?

The fuses are good in the blocks. Would the relays be the next place to check?

Comment

Relays and pressure switch should be checked.

Comment

Thanks. Found where the relays are - they're pretty dirty but it looks like the contacts themselves are clean. They look like the same type of relay so I swapped them to see if that made any difference (one component turning on vs another) and that didn't.

Where's the pressure switch, and what's the easiest/best way to check to make sure its working?

Thanks!

Comment

sounds exactly like mine. A/C no workie did all the checks to see what it could be. everything looked fine, so I just did the R134 conversion and it worked great from then on!

I had my car converted from R12 to R134 (did it mostly myself). All that you need to have done by a shop is have your R12 evacuated. The rest you can do in less then 20 minutes. I got the R12 to R134a conversion kit at advanced auto parts. **just follow the directrons** and you should be good.
            ~~~~~~~

Comment

I have the same problem...the light turns on but nothing happens...I've been told it could be the compressor being not charged so it won't turn on...how much does the converstion to r134a run (sorry to thread jack)

Comment

There are alot of possiblities here; cooling fan or condensor fan fuses, relays, or motors could be bad. If they are all in check, the system is probably low on refrigerant, and if this is the case, there is a leak somewhere. Get the system evacuated, get the leak fixed, and retrofit to R134a and you're golden.
                00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Tnx for the suggestions. I'd give the R134a conversion a go but I'd like to know how much it's going to run me before I go for it.

I checked and it looks like advance carries two kits - $26 and $34. Anyone know how much it costs to get the AC system evacuated?

Thanks!

- Joe
                  Last edited by cookebbs; 06-02-2004, 08:57 AM.

Comment

I usually charge 2 hrs labor for an evac & recharge with leak tracer dye and locating the leak. Most other shops will probably be about the same.
                    00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Working...
                    X