Neutralizing Battery Acid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neutralizing Battery Acid

Move this if it's not in right sub-forum please.

I did this research for a friend & it will benefit those in the same boat which wish to salvage an engine from wrecked car, in which battery acid spilled on it.

Battery acid will eat through alot, and this includes your engine block, cyl head and intake manifold, etc.

To neutralize it there are two options I found from like 6 sources on internet.

1) 50/50 of baking soda and water

2) Household ammonia and water
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

baking soda and water !
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Coca-Cola also works well.
      Hittin Switches - Draggin XhaustAlways Under Construction

Comment

Originally posted by akkordlayinkit
        Coca-Cola also works well.
        Negative on the Coke part, you cannot increase PH by adding an acid to another acid. Well technically you can but not to the degree what were looking for here. Baking Soda is alklyne (SP?) and the battery acid is very acidic hydrocloric (Sp?). Adding Soda/water mixture will increase the Ph to a more Base Ph number towards 7.0 or somewhere around there. Good luck, Cola does clean good just dosent do good for lowering PH.
        Sleeper Style

Comment

Originally posted by 2clean4uaccord
          Negative on the Coke part, you cannot increase PH by adding an acid to another acid. Well technically you can but not to the degree what were looking for here. Baking Soda is alklyne (SP?) and the battery acid is very acidic hydrocloric (Sp?). Adding Soda/water mixture will increase the Ph to a more Base Ph number towards 7.0 or somewhere around there. Good luck, Cola does clean good just dosent do good for lowering PH.
          Well I knew coke was good for doing something, cleaning, yes that is what I was thinking of it doing to the batteries. Thanks for correcting me there, sorry for the wrong info.

Jay
          Hittin Switches - Draggin XhaustAlways Under Construction

Comment

Yea, coke is for cleaning chrome bumpers....I saw it on that breaking myths show...

Comment

Wait a minute, so i can restore all of my tools in my trunk by dipping it in baking soda and water? When my battery flipped over in my trunk, it destroyed my carpet and made my tools turn white, My chassis (trunk bottom) is beginning to get it to, so i guess i should rinse it out also.

Comment

Yep. The sooner you do it after it happens the better. I take it you have waited a while. Battery acid will create pitting on your aluminum engine block if you let it sit there and eat at it.....strong shit man...it's sulfuric acid for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by Sho Nuff
                  Wait a minute, so i can restore all of my tools in my trunk by dipping it in baking soda and water? When my battery flipped over in my trunk, it destroyed my carpet and made my tools turn white, My chassis (trunk bottom) is beginning to get it to, so i guess i should rinse it out also.
                  Yea man rinse that shit out quick i think there is a plug for the very bottom where the spare tire goes? But as far as the damage thats allready done, you simply cannot reverse that just stop more damage from happening. Have fun.
                  Sleeper Style

Comment

Luckily it took awhile before it got threw my carpet and layers of cardboard i had back there. Right now its trying to eat through the tar .

Comment

Working...
                    X