O2 sensor blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O2 sensor blues

hmmm..well i got a ticket last night for cussing or 'aggressive language' when i was in a parking lot jumping my cel code... some nosy cop i smart mouthed too...LOL.. it was worth the ticket..trust me

well recently my engine has been giving me a few codes as you can tell by my threads here in the tech section ... regarding codes

1 O2A - Oxygen sensor #1
    41 Primary oxygen sensor heater
    3 MAP - manifold absolute pressure sensor
    143 Fuel supply system

so i rewired my ecu to my safc 2.. well instead of soldering my ecu points this time to my safc 2 i cut them.. and used new gauge wire that matched the ecu' gauge .. i also used heat shrinking connectors this time to make it more reliable than a soldered connection which could add resistance to the circiut

symptoms;;...i eliminated all my problems except for code 1 or the o2a- oxygen sensor number 1--- all my lights disappeared.. but now my cel code 1 goes off when i go WOT and its the code 1 again and my car also idles a little bit erratic under 3k rpm ..
    i also have noticed that my old o2 sensor had white residue on it.. as well as my spark plugs i guess this indicates that my engine is running lean

1--so i jack the car up and clean the connector with car sensor electronic cleaner.. the stuff that evaporates pretty fast... and has a straw you use to spray kinda like wd-40

2--i replaced the o2 sensor with a brand new bosch

3--i also rechecked the o2 sensor wire that my a/f gauge is hooked up onto ... i rewired it using 24 gauge wire this time

the only thing i can think of that is giving me o2 sensor CEL now is

1--my spark plugs
    2--i fouled out my o2 sensor... if that is possible in a short amount of period
    3--header / exhaust leak
    4--wrong gauge wire on ecu im using 24 gauge
    5--bad female connector under car where o2 sensor hooks up

any suggestions would help at this time.. thanks peeps

Originally posted by 93EXaesthetic
    2--i replaced the o2 sensor with a brand new bosch
    There's your problem. Replace with a ND or NGK. Bosch sensors have incorrect resistance in the heater circuit.
    2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
    Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
    1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

ill take that into account stevie b

im also thinking it could be something dealing with a vacuum leak or something

Comment

i replaced both my brothers civic o2 and my moms coworkers civic o2 with bosch and neither have had a single issue.. her coworkers was replaced a couple years ago and she does a LOT of driving and my brothers was replaced about a year ago...

Comment

Originally posted by Mista Juice
          i replaced both my brothers civic o2 and my moms coworkers civic o2 with bosch and neither have had a single issue..
          I measured a few in the store, all the heater circuits were out of spec, replaced with a NTK, error code gone.

It should be 15-20 ohms.

If the ones you installed spec'ed out fine, that's great.
          He's got a code 41, o2 sensor heater. What should he do?
          Last edited by SteveB; 01-16-2007, 05:14 PM.
          2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
          Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
          1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

i agree with steveb, the bosch sensor is probably the cause. i'd get an OEM, no worries. later.
            Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
              I measured a few in the store, all the heater circuits were out of spec, replaced with a NTK, error code gone.

It should be 15-20 ohms.

If the ones you installed spec'ed out fine, that's great.
              He's got a code 41, o2 sensor heater. What should he do?
              hmm today replaced the spark plugs back to ngk v-power..and took out the ngk platinums so i could gap the v-power.. still the same problem

the code 41 is already eliminated when i switched out o2 sensors to the bosch

the only code im getting now is code 1 when i go wot...

im starting to think its the wiring..somewhere on the connection

i am going to look into getting those ntk's or another brand...like you said
              Last edited by 93EXaesthetic; 01-17-2007, 12:11 PM.

Comment

where do you cop ntk o2 sensors?

she is down....but definately not out

Comment

Originally posted by jova1993cb
                  where do you cop ntk o2 sensors?
                  i wonder the same thing... ebay i guess i dunno has to be an online retailer

Comment

short to ground

im thinking it maybe a short to ground problem somewhere.. the o2 sensor should be giving me a good reading..i think the bosch problem is only with the heater code 42

Short to ground in the O2 circuit. This usually occurs from mechanical damage to the wire. The most common problem we have seen is the O2 wire crimped under a valve cover when the gasket was replaced. Some O2 sensor wires are shielded with a braided shield coaxially over the signal wire. You can tell by the wire being considerably thicker and less flexible. We have found cases where the signal wire was shorted to the shield, usually from mechanical damage. Never use a piercing wire tap to test a signal through a shielded wire! Misrouted and burned O2 sensor wires can also be a problem.

Comment

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/june/Tech2tech.htm

read this stuff .. good info

Comment

Working...
                      X