AC Coolant Recharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC Coolant Recharge

Now that its almost summer ive realized my AC sucks and i need a recharge. I found out my car uses RF-12 coolant (i think thats what its called) which is very expensive now ive heard. My question is how much would it cost to recharge with the RF-12 vs. converting to RF-45 type coolant?
    Last edited by dj justice; 05-10-2004, 09:14 PM.
    R.I.P. Cb7 4/27/05
    My members ride page
    Official Ebay Whore Crew #1

Woah now. Get your terms right first. Your system currently uses R12. The newer refrigerant is R134A. Anyhow, R12 prices vary from about $60 to $90 a pound. The Accord's system takes a little more then 2 lbs. R134A is less then $5/lb.

Here's the tricky part. Why did you lose all that R12? You've got a leak in there somewhere. That's the first thing. The actual conversion process; well, lets say that I've witnessed first-hand what happens when people charge a R12 system with R134A and not replace anything else. It actually works pretty decently. Not as cold as it should be at idle, but otherwise fine.

At the very least you'll want to replace the drier/receiver ($50 part) and figure out where the leak is.

Comment

Well i was lookin at my cars repair records and i dont think the system has ever been recharged/repaired so thats probably why its not workin.
      R.I.P. Cb7 4/27/05
      My members ride page
      Official Ebay Whore Crew #1

Comment

Originally posted by fizzbob7
        in my state, you can't buy R12 without a special license number that only businesses can acquire......
        That's in all states. And yes, factor that into your costs.

On the other hand, you'll have a hell of a time finding that leak yourself anyway. A/C has never been a DIY thing in my book.

Comment

You may not even have a leak in first place, if its not cooling at all, it could be something as simple as a bad condensor fan relay, fan motor, pressure switch....anything. However if the refrigerant is low, you most definately have a leak somewhere. If this is the case you'll have to take it to a shop and have them recharge it with leak tracer dye, then they use an ultraviolet light to locate the leak. Evac, recharge, and diag should run you about 2 hrs labor.
          00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Originally posted by fizzbob7
            even with all the dyes and "leak detecting" equipment, i've seen pros have problems......i never got into a/c systems or bodywork......i feel comfy with the rest, but not those things.....i have interest in paint, but not a/c......i only use it when my lil girl is in the car.....when it's 100 degrees here, i'd hate to cook her.....
            I will say this. Those probes that detect the presence of refrigerant are pretty damned neat.

Comment

Nice timing, my A/C just crapped out on me as well. Could it be possible that it is leaking out through the A/C clutch?

I think I may have a problem there

Comment

I doubt it would leak if your clutch went bad. Only problem is it might be trick replacing it without removing the compressor.

Comment

yahoooooo nice timing guys. when i was working on my engine head and was about to take off the heat shield(this when i was a noobie and didn't belong to these sites) i trued opening that hose which is paralel to the radiator. needles to say i hear this ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sound and there goes my AC colant. fuck it was summer too. so i haven't used the AC for a year now but i am getting tired off not using it.
                  i have asked at pep boys and they tell me that i got to check what kind of colant hond uses because they honda dealers have changed it a about 10 year ago or something like that.
                  so its R12.
                  so i know where i fucked where the leak was and i have tight the bolt of that hoze. now where do i fill the colant of the AC. the manual makes me cofuzed so i am asking here.
                  are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

A/C has to be recharged by a licensed business. This is because the average joe cant buy the stuff.

Comment

i live in philly and i think i can buy that shit at pep boys or something like that. so where do i fill it up and if the collant is R12(honda dealers have change it 10 years ago that is why i am asking)
                      are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Originally posted by alb_accord
                        i live in philly and i think i can buy that shit at pep boys or something like that. so where do i fill it up and if the collant is R12(honda dealers have change it 10 years ago that is why i am asking)
                        You can't buy R12 anywhere without a license, period. You can find lots of R134 in Pep Boys tho.

Comment

Why can't you get it? Is it bad for the Enviorment. Or is it like a drug? fill me in

Comment

Originally posted by Maple50175
                            Why can't you get it? Is it bad for the Enviorment. Or is it like a drug? fill me in
                            It has CFC's which are bad for the ozone layer. EPA outlawed it many years ago. That's why there was the switch around '95 or so to R134A. It is currently illegal to purchase R12 without a license in the US.

Comment

Yes, he is correct. All car manufactures were required to switch to R134a by the '94 model year ( I think). R12 hasn't even been produced since '95. You cannot purchase R12 without a license ( I have one) but you can buy R134a just about anywhere. R12 will run you about $90 lb, however R134a is around $5 lb, the systems in our cars require about 2 lbs. If you have a leak, best thing to do is retrofit your R12 system to R134a, I think the kit is around $20 - $30. However, DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT just go to autozone and buy that "freeze 12" shit, it will just fuck everything up. If the system in your car is low...you have a leak somewhere, period. Take it to a proffesional to have it professionally diagnosed.
                              00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Working...
                              X