Question about changing AT fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about changing AT fluid

So I know that I need to change, or add to my AT fluid because of the harsh shifts. But I am still looking for the damn oil check filler bolt. I know that it's on the passenger side, and that it's next to the axle, but which bolt is it?

Next question is, if my transmission fluid is full, but needs to be changed becasue it's smells burnt, how do I get it out?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

ok man. if u see on the left side of the engine compartment(pasanger side) under the long radiator hoze that goes in to the thermostat and in front of the left radiator side u should see somthing like the AT oil check stick. take that off and smell it if the fluid is burned or not. in the same whole u can fill the tranny with fluid. but u will need one of these things.

ITS THE BLACK THING ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE PIC. u going to need one in order to put AT fluid in the tranny.
    as for taking the fluid out>>> the bolt is located on the side of the front left side of the tranny. there is a control arm that comes from the car'subframe. u going to need one of these to stick in the bolt in order to open it.

u might need an extension in order to take off that bolt.
    u going to need the car up in one of these motherfuckers:

KEEP IN MIND IN ORDER TO TAKE OFF THE DRAIN BOLT U HAVE TO MOVE THE THING TOWORDS THE FRONT OF THE CAR. IT MIGHT BE A LITTLE HARD BUT JUST TAKE UR TIME.
    good luck
    are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Awesome. I got it. My tranny fluid was nasty. Kinda orangy, and brown. Shifts are much more smooth now. Thanks for the help.

Comment

well it might be too late but when i change the at flui i jack the car up and redline it in every single position of the shift lever including park. you would be amazed at the mess it comes out.

Comment

You do that right before you drain it...right???

Comment

right..

Comment

Hey....I also got a question bout this subject.....I hear that when you drain the fluid, you only get about 1/3 of the fluid out, and a $150 transmission fluid flush is the only way to get it all out. If I drained all the fluid out, and then started the engine in park and revved it up a bit, would that help to get more of the fluid out? My trans is not engaging all the way, and a guy recommended I replace it with honda fluid, run it a few mins, drain it, then replace with more honda fluid. Any other suggestions? Thanx

Comment

Yeah...draining only gets out 1/3. If you want a full change, then goto a Quick Lube place and they do it for about $75.

Comment

When mrhonda and I did my car's tranny fluid, it looked black as old engine oil. We drained it ran fluid thru, and changed it out. The car shifts nice and smooth now.
                  Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
                  2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
                  2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
                  2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Did you do a couple drains and refills or only 1?

Comment

i would change it to some cheap fluid

drive it a bit, then change it again

repeat a few times then change to some genuine fluid and ur set

for the ppl who changed their fluids was the bolt a lil bit rounded or was it the previous owner of my car who did this

Comment

what kind of fluid besides honda oem tranny fluid goes in an Auto tranny? That I can get at Advanced or Auto Zone?

Comment

none only use honda or it will shift like shit

My Members Ride Page

Comment

Yeah, I have always been told to use Honda ATF. I have not used anything else on mine.
                            Taking over the world one drift at a time!

Comment

Always use Honda ATF.
                              Ive been reading about the Cb7's faults...our auto trannys tend to shift harshly later in the car's life...so changing the fluid once a year is a great idea -season to season i always say...

If you take it to a shop, a good shop will have a power purging vacuum. They will suck all of the old fluid out out of every moving part in the automatic tranny...lol...I think Aamaco--sp? has a special for like $99.00 --power purge which includes a coolant flush?

I dont recall, i saw it late night on TV before...
                              ...Fermented beverages and certain natural herbs dont mix well with a human's memory

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
                              1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

Working...
                              X