ignition problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignition problem

ok, so 2 days ago, i put another dizzy in the car, and it started first pop, all good, and now today, it refuses to start, it took about a minute of cranking for it to start, once it does start it's fine though, but i just parked it up for now. I know it's not the dizzy cause it works fine in the other car so in my mind it came down to some faulty wiring or something.... any ideas?
    Last edited by HondaFan81; 12-17-2006, 11:53 AM.

H22A Vigor
    SR20 Accord

well...if it won't start, check that the fuel pump is working (have someone listen in the trunk, you should hear it whine while the CEL comes on when the key is first put into the on position), then check for spark.
    Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

If it doesnt come on could be main relay but usually acts up in hot weather you never know though. But if you know its not anything related to the dizzy then prob a fuel problem as mentioned.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

well i'm 99.999% sure it's getting fuel, and if it's not, what can i check to make it get fuel?? other than the pump of course. I dislike fuel injected cars

H22A Vigor
        SR20 Accord

Comment

did you swap the motor out or anything. If you wanna check for spark stick a screwdriver in the sparkplug wire in cylinder 1 and watch for a blue flicker then you got spark if dont touch it though your shock your ass off. As for the fuel you can unbolt the fuel rail a lil bit and put a rag over it to make sure it doesnt gush out everywhere due to pressure from the fuel pump itself then you got fuel. are you shooting off any check engine lights

Comment

i dont quite understand the way you check for spark o.O I just pull out the spark plug, put it in the lead, and ground it and check for spark like that, and there isn't any spark btw

H22A Vigor
            SR20 Accord

Comment

Originally posted by Overdosed F20A5
              i dont quite understand the way you check for spark o.O I just pull out the spark plug, put it in the lead, and ground it and check for spark like that, and there isn't any spark btw
              check your fuses the 10 amp thats under the hood that goes to the ecu and the one thats under the dash . If that doesnt help check the coil if you have one laying around check it with that or someone elses from off a running cb7 if that doesnt help swap distributors.

Comment

oh thanks for the fuse info, gotta check those, i think that could be the problem. the dizzy on there now is from the other car, when i first put it in, it started first pop, i'm gonna put the old one in the other car and see if that one starts, if it doesn't, well then problem should lie in the distributor (but wont explain why the one im trynna get going wont start) if it does start, then the car has a different problem (prolly a fuse like you mentioned) or something even worse.

lol atm, my $120 89 accord is the only working vehicle we have, to think we payed $3600 and $2200 for 2 cars that are no longer going... HA

H22A Vigor
                SR20 Accord

Comment

oooooooooooooook so all fuses are good =/

H22A Vigor
                  SR20 Accord

Comment

just a quick bump...

H22A Vigor
                    SR20 Accord

Comment

anyone??????? atm we are just risking using it and pray to god it starts each time we turn the key, bearly starts sometimes, and the battery is getting flat-ish

H22A Vigor
                      SR20 Accord

Comment

Ooo is your alternator charging? Does your battery have enough voltage?

The New-ish Ride
                        My old Ride
                        Hear my Vtak!!!
                        MK3 Member #3
                        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

oops didn't see your reply, anyways, yeah the alternator is fine just the battery is getting old and sometimes spends about 30 or so seconds cranking without starting. today the car broke down when we went to get a wod (shame) had to push it out, lucky it still passed.

anyways, does a 5th gen f22b fit in a f20a5 well?? like the plugs?
                          Last edited by A18A; 12-10-2006, 10:37 PM.

H22A Vigor
                          SR20 Accord

Comment

Originally posted by Overdosed F20A5
                            oops didn't see your reply, anyways, yeah the alternator is fine just the battery is getting old and sometimes spends about 30 or so seconds cranking without starting. today the car broke down when we went to get a wod (shame) had to push it out, lucky it still passed.

anyways, does a 5th gen f22b fit in a f20a5 well?? like the plugs?
                            Not really sure about the plugs but I would think there would be some differences but it should still be doable. Personally not sure if the harness is the same from f20 vs f22a. If it takes that long to crank a battery if you have a car with a helathy battery throw it in the car and see if it still does the same thing. Ghetto check but it works.

The New-ish Ride
                            My old Ride
                            Hear my Vtak!!!
                            MK3 Member #3
                            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

ok thanks for the help appreciate it alot

i got around to putting the dizzy into the other car and it didn't start, no spark, so that shows that i did need to replace the dizzy but then that also means theres still a problem with the white one, im gonna check tomorrow maybe if the ecu will throw a code or something. might just get another cheap dizzy

and i just learnt that the dizzy will only go in 1 way lol

H22A Vigor
                              SR20 Accord

Comment

Working...
                              X