weird grind when shifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weird grind when shifting

i was driving today and got off the highway and stopped at the top of the exit ramp. i pulled out and a car was coming, so i gunned it in first til about 5000 rpms then went to shift into second and it was a weird ginding noise and it would shift for a little bit (4-5 seconds). then went through all the other gears fine. is this a problem with my clutch, transmission, etc.?
    -Xavier

could be the synchros, if you see it start doing it more and more, try using the new honda syncromesh tranny fluid.

Comment

nice clean car man.

when was the last time you had your tranny fluid changed?

Comment

Originally posted by Leung
        nice clean car man.

when was the last time you had your tranny fluid changed?
        had 266k miles when i got it early this summer. now it has 280k and i havent gotten it changed yet
        -Xavier

Comment

Originally posted by 90_cb7
          had 266k miles when i got it early this summer. now it has 280k and i havent gotten it changed yet
          if i would of got that car with 266k miles b4 it hit 266.5k iwould of change all fluids

Not my fault my dick only fits magnums.
          Why drink and drive when you can smoke and FLY?

Comment

Originally posted by amd3dnow3
            if i would of got that car with 266k miles b4 it hit 266.5k iwould of change all fluids
            true
            1993 Accord LX - Sold
            93 BMW 525it - SOLD
            92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
            2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
            2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
            2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
            2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
            2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

should i take it to a honda dealer or my mechanic?
              -Xavier

Comment

You can do it yourself if you want but just get you about 2-3 quarts of honda mtf. The trans takes around 2qts if I remember. Dump it through the vss is how most people do it make sure your on level ground.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                I piss off people for fun.
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by sublime
                  could be the synchros, if you see it start doing it more and more, try using the new honda syncromesh tranny fluid.
                  ohhh.. NEW honda syncromesh tranny fluid?!?!? .. sweeet!. lol .. i used half honda mtf fluid and half penzoil syncromesh, works well
                  -:¦:-
                  Originally posted by wed3k
                  i rep cb7tuner all day, everyday. people say, "fuck y0 honda." and i say, "bitch, please."

Comment

Ouch...my old prelude had second going out, so it was near impossible to shift at high RPMs.
                    I've changed the fluid three times and I've never been able to use a full 2 quarts.
                    I've never filled through the VSS, didn't know about that. Though I'd rather remove the wheel and use a long tube, as I do now.
                    I used half Honda MTL and half Royal Purple Syncromax on the last change with good results.
                    Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                      Dump it through the vss is how most people do it.

you know there's a filler bolt right next to the vss right? later.
                      Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

yeah but doing so like that will overtime ruin the transmission seals unless you know exactly how much to fill. The best thing to do is to fully drain it with the drain bolt. Then fill it up to the top until it starts to tip off when you see some fluid coming out at the same time your trying to pour the fluid in there. Also as for the synchro thing unless you really want that transmission you can get it rebuilt at gearspeed perhaps throw an lsd in there while its open if you have the dough. If not let it ride but i warn you overtime your synchro will give out taking the gear itself along with it causing you not being able to shift into that gear at all i speak from personal experience.

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG

you know there's a filler bolt right next to the vss right? later.
                          or that lol. Im more used to the lower one though since I have access to a lift.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          I piss off people for fun.
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                            You can do it yourself if you want but just get you about 2-3 quarts of honda mtf. The trans takes around 2qts if I remember. Dump it through the vss is how most people do it make sure your on level ground.
                            Originally posted by h22sparkle
                            yeah but doing so like that will overtime ruin the transmission seals unless you know exactly how much to fill. The best thing to do is to fully drain it with the drain bolt. Then fill it up to the top until it starts to tip off when you see some fluid coming out at the same time your trying to pour the fluid in there. Also as for the synchro thing unless you really want that transmission you can get it rebuilt at gearspeed perhaps throw an lsd in there while its open if you have the dough. If not let it ride but i warn you overtime your synchro will give out taking the gear itself along with it causing you not being able to shift into that gear at all i speak from personal experience.
                            i dont really know alot about motors.................yet. so i dont have any idea of what you guys are talkin bout. any pix?
                            -Xavier

Comment

Originally posted by 90_cb7
                              i dont really know alot about motors.................yet. so i dont have any idea of what you guys are talkin bout. any pix?
                              do you plan to swap the motor for more performance with an h22 or are you gonna go boost? if your just gonna keep it stock and want a nice rebuild go to gearspeedinc.com call them up and have your tranny taken out by someone who knows what they are going or do it yourself. this should be a good experience for you .

Comment

Working...
                              X