my car died today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my car died today

Ok, so my car died, and wouldn't start back up. Before it died, the Tachometer went haywire, and the engine started to die. When I went to start it a few hours later, it wouldn't. Battery and starter are good.

My friend said it was the alternater?

-help

Distrubitor most likely, check if you are getting spark

Comment

well, i'm not with my car right now, it's a few blocks away at a friends house. I'm hoping that someone could tell me what it was by the symtoms.

Comment

What were the symtoms? If you say your tach went crazy means the distrubitor was going out and just died, that means no spark. Pull one of the plug wires out of the head and put a spark plug in the end of it, ground the body of the plug onto something, then have someone crank the engine. If you get spark....move onto the next think. Fuel. Check to hear if your fuel pump is working.

Comment

If the battery is good and currently has power then the car would still start even with a bad alternator because the alt doesn't really have anything to do with the car starting. You should try hooking up a battery charger for a half hour or so, or hook it up with some jumpers to another car and let the other car run for at least ten or fifteen minutes, then unhook whichever and try to start your CB. If it starts and then runs down after awhile, its your alt. If it still doesn't start then your problem isn't your alt (at least its not whats keeping it from starting).

Comment

dude b4 my altenator went bad my tach and speddo went haywire and then shut off. i tried a lil while later to get my car to start and i didnt have any power.
            cant wait till im all done

Comment

ive had those same symptons happen to me and it came out to be a bad alternator take it off and take it to auto zone.they test it for free.

thanx for da sig. DFRHonda

Comment

crazy tach was a bad dizzy for me also...my tach went crazy then the car died out....new distributor fixed it all
                My Members Ride Thread

Comment

check altenator make sure your altenator belt is tight also make sure your grounds are tight especially the one that goes onto the block just below the distributor when that gets loose its starts to act retarded.

Comment

sweet, thanks guys.......I'll check for spark and check the alternater and distributor!.

Comment

have the same problem with our project car...

smells like distributor
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

If tacho went haywire check the igniter in the dizzy.

The New-ish Ride
                        My old Ride
                        Hear my Vtak!!!
                        MK3 Member #3
                        I piss off people for fun.
                        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

check the dizzy....dizzy fosizzzy

Comment

found the problem:

I blew my head gasket, oil got into the spark plug housings, ruined the spark plugs and hot wires.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X