speedometer doesn't work!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speedometer doesn't work!!!!

Driving and the check engine light came on. Shortly after the sports light started to flash (indicates transmission problem). At no time did the car feel or act weird driving wise. Shortly after the two lights came on, the speedometer went to zero and just stayed there. At one point it came back and showed the speed, but shortly failed again. I got home and shut the car off. A short time later I drove and none of the lights came on, but the speedometer did not work. When I drove home again, the lights came on and the speedometer still didn't work.

I have no idea of what's wrong. From what I've read it may be a solenoid issue, but my father will not let me work on the car because its still technically his. Just wanted to know what I'm getting into.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Originally posted by Maple50175
    Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

VSS

Why didn't you post what code you got?

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
    where you been, is something wrong?
    i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Vehicle speed sensor prob took a shit on you just replace it.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
        Why didn't you post what code you got?
        I didn't look to see what the code was. I'm too lazy to put on a coat to go outside and check it

Comment

Checked the code this morning and pulled a 17- VSS. So I know that its a problem with the sensor. How much does it cost to replace it? Also, where is it on the car

Comment

On the trans toward the back a bit. Held in by two 10mm bolts. I think they cost around 50 or so dollars if not cheaper.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            I piss off people for fun.
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Weeeellllllll, my dad thought that because I'm young that I don't know anything about how to fix stuff. I went out and got the code, told him what the problem was, and showed him the manual which shows how to replace the vss. Still he says, I'd rather have the dealer do it. I say alright, because it's not my money. In the end it cost somewhere around $300. Serves him right for doubting me.

Comment

*long drawn out whistle*

Yeah, you shoulda just done it yourself behind his back.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                where you been, is something wrong?
                i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

DAYUM... 300 bucks to have that replaced?

because my speedo doesn't work either.

Comment

Two bolts and one wire, 10 minutes work. So simple a caveman can do it-$300.00 to have a dealer do it = stupid!

The 90 Accord 4DR Sedan my son and I are building.

Comment

OUCH $300 .. u got boned. It's an easy 40 dollar(ebay) and 15-30 minute fix.
                      small hands or long tools are handy.
                      -:¦:-
                      Originally posted by wed3k
                      i rep cb7tuner all day, everyday. people say, "fuck y0 honda." and i say, "bitch, please."

Comment

Last two posts, thank you. I've showed this thread to my dad and he feels pretty embarrased to say the least. He's decided to let me fix up any little things in the future. (as he should've done in the first place )

Comment

If you have any questions or if he has let us know. We will try to help all we can.

The 90 Accord 4DR Sedan my son and I are building.

Comment

I have this problem as well, both my speedometer and my odometer don't work....I got the speed sensor checked and it is not the problem, the speed sensor works fine....
                            ...could it be the gauge cluster itself? ...anyone have a manual metric cluster laying around?
                            DEVOTE

Comment

Happened to me, it's the VSS. Get it replaced and you'll be good. You'll still be able to drive the car perfectly fine, just without knowing your speed. Before I got mine fixed it would once inwhile start working, but it was pretty random. Check engine light comes on just to let you know there's a problem. The code will tell you the VSS is messed.

Sean-Dinner.com

Comment

Working...
                              X