Source of whinning noise found.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source of whinning noise found.

Well after changing out the Alternator, the source that my tech told me was making the noise, I found that the Alt was not the culprit. A close friend of mine who knows a knowlegable tech tells me that the noise is coming from the timing belt. He said that his does the exact same thing. He said there are two springs that work to keep tensions correct. Without them, the belt makes this annoying sound.

Can anyone back this information up? I don't want to change parts if they aren't broken. I definately don't want to be messing with the timing belt if it's not a possibility. Also, if it is the springs, can you obtain access to replacing them without taking the motor loose?

Thanks for the help!

My Cardomain

Current Score: Cops - IV Me - V
    Quote of the moment: "The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
    Simulation Racing Thread i.e. PC, PS2 & XBOX

I've heard the same is true if its too tight.

Comment

BFTDT...back from the dead thread. well kinda.

i just need to know if the whinning is a serious problem. mine just started to make noise after a long drive through a hot summer-like day in southern california. it's coming from the alternator/timing belt area. i wouldn't want to replace the alternator if it's unnecessary.

please shed some insight fellas. is it serious? is there a simple fix?
      1cor10:31
      - 92 LX coupe
      - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Well, there are alot of things it could be; p/s pump, alternator, waterpump, timing belt tensioners, or the timing belt is too tight. Easiest way to check is to hold a screwdriver on each component and put your ear on the end of the handle, this is usually a pretty acturate way to pinpoint a noise. If you dn't hear the whine in the alternator or p/s pump, then its probably one of the other three.
        00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

that's a good idea. it's like a stethoscope principle. only thing i'm afraid of is the spinning belts and pulleys. i wouldn't want the tool or worst yet a body part to get snagged. i'll try this method. thanks!

what damages can an overtightened timing belt, alt belt, p/s belt do?
          1cor10:31
          - 92 LX coupe
          - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

nah, just be careful, I do it all the time. If the belts are too tight, it will wear out the bearings and cause the p/s pump, alternator, a/c compressor, or waterpump to fail, whichever belt is too tight.
            00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

A wooden handle like from a broom works well too for things on the bottom of the engine.

My Cardomain

Current Score: Cops - IV Me - V
              Quote of the moment: "The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them."
              Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
              Simulation Racing Thread i.e. PC, PS2 & XBOX

Comment

F22?

Setting the timing belt tension is easy enough to do.
                Bart: What's your name?
                Jim: Well, my name is Jim, but most people call me... Jim.

Comment

most automatic f22 has the wining noise. no one knows for sure where it comes from. just ideas of where the noise comes from. sometimes u hear it between the alt and psp and sometimes u hear it on the lower big pulley<<<whatever that thing is called.
                  are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Originally posted by timmy0tool
                    that's a good idea. it's like a stethoscope principle. only thing i'm afraid of is the spinning belts and pulleys. i wouldn't want the tool or worst yet a body part to get snagged. i'll try this method. thanks!

what damages can an overtightened timing belt, alt belt, p/s belt do?
                    Can also wear out the belt faster than it should... as for the stethoscope, you can buy them cheap at autozone...

Changing the timing belt is far easier than I expected, as long you have a special tool to remove the crankshaft bolt. If I were you(or anybody) I'd replace the timing belt and balance shaft belt while your in there.

Caleb
                    My official vouch thread!

Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

Comment

Working...
                    X