power steering removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

power steering removal?

I think I'm having a few problems with my power steering, it whines when i turn, and it feels like the P/S comes in and out every once and a while. So I've decided to just get rid of it, Iv'e driven a civic without power steering, and it's not too bad.

So, I was wondering if there was a DIY on PS removal (I searched). And if anyone's got some tips on driving/removing....anything on Power Steering, talk to me. thanks.

-Cole

Well easiest way would just be take the belt off the pump itself.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Are you trying to remove the whole system cause you will have to loop the lines!
      99 GS300 (Aristo) 2JZ Power

Bought from:gdout, bb6-sh

Comment

well, it seems I'm having some problems with my power steering now, and Iv'e always wondered how hard it would be to remove it,........and another question for those who don't have PS, do you wish you had it???

Comment

Bleh its the same. Getting out of tight parking spots is a bitch but you get used to it.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

NaiL, you mentioned taking the belt off the pump and I wouldn't have PS anymore? Could it be that easy?, if so, do you have a picture of where it's located?

Comment

Your power steering pump is the top one just loosen the tension pull off the belt and no power steering. If you like that then you can take out the whole system but thats the easiest way to take off power steering and keep all your stuff looped.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                Your power steering pump is the top one just loosen the tension pull off the belt and no power steering. If you like that then you can take out the whole system but thats the easiest way to take off power steering and keep all your stuff looped.
                sweet, i'll try it

Comment

Oh shit.

Why do you have to loop it?

Comment

SO the rack dont dry up and it lasts longer.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by Maple50175
                      Oh shit.

Why do you have to loop it?

lol i take it you didnt loop yours
                      R.I.P. 6-10-07

(\__/)
                      (O.o )
                      (> < )

My Rotor DIY
                      I'm not perfect i will make mistakes if i do just point it out to me

Comment

LOL Taking that cooler off in the front is a bitch I warn you it's a trick you got to do!

Comment

you left us hanging. whats the trick. i am considering going ahead and remove the whole thing. i have had the belt off since 04 and it ain't bad. but i might as well remove the whole system.
                          91 Ex CB9
                          JDM h22 auto swap, now w/H23 5spd conversion, short ram intake w/K&N filter, DC ceramic header, 2.25" custom catback exhaust, AMR Engineering coilovers, 205/50/16's Enkei RS5's, front slotted rotors, Xenon body kit.

W.I.P.
                          p72 ecu on Hondata

To Come
                          Weight Reductions
                          R33 or R34 front end

Comment

Well you know there is a 10mm bolt holding the cooler to the front of the car. Well once you take it off it just hangs loose and some may have cut it off, well what I did was just push down on the cooler and it popped on the outside so I could get the hoses loose and loop them!

Comment

pull all the lines out of the res..then under the car there are too lines behind a splash sheild,one goes straight to the pump the other is a return, take those out and cut the lines so that you just have the open bolts,then just weld the open end, smooth them down, throw em back in the hole and your done with the under neath, then just remove everything up top, pump res, cooler, lines res, pump bracket, then just get a belt, i got an 86 accord belt, they had 2 sizes and i got the biggest one and it fits nicely.....there are days i wish i had it to be honest...if you like turning the wheel easy and not really
                              having to put alot of muscle into turning. keep it in, replace your pump since thats what it needs and stay away from removal........
                              Last edited by ehulst; 12-07-2006, 08:24 PM.
                              93 Accord- SOLD
                              94 Civic- F22a1 Swap, current DD

Comment

Working...
                              X