GRrrr Maybe Master Cylinder, or?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GRrrr Maybe Master Cylinder, or?

My pedal almost touches the floor. Checked the fluid, sure enough, it was low ..
    Poured in some dot 3 .. drove home from NaPa .. not any better.

Could be one of the wheel slaves .. maybe .. Nothin on the ground where I park.
    Master and Brake Booster have about 250k on um both .. time to change anyway?
    I dont see anything around my master, in terms of wet spots or leaks ..
    Grrrr, I hate these lil thangs that nag at me. Owell, 250k .. whudda I expext ..

I understand that the 90-97 Masters work .. Of course my 90LX didnt come with abs ..
    If I change the master .. I'll def do the booster as well .. what else should I be lookin at?
    What am I fergettin here fella's?

A Hui Hou !!!
    Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

On my cd5 the brake pedal was going to the floor and so I just replaced the master cylinder and it worked fine after that I didnt change the bb cause that was working fine, and I dont think you missed anything but someone verify that Hope this helps

btw sweet sig

Comment

Thanks 1212 ..

Yeah, I just kina thought, you know .. when you change t-belt, you change w/pump ..
      When you change this, you change that .. kina thang .. heheh .. sigh .. I dunno ..

Hard to find a M/C with a Booster, together on eGay .. then again, (correct me if I'm wrong)
      but, the BB is just a vacuum house .. no? So, what could really go wrong there?

I wanna get the car up in the air, and look at the rear slaves .. sommmething tells me ...

Thanks on the siggie too .. .. its what can get accomplished after a bottle of .. champagne!

A Hui Hou !!!
      Tomi

Comment

try bleeding them before you go crazy buying parts. there is a good chance its the MC, but it would save you money/time if you just have some air in the lines (perhaps from letting the fluid get low)

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by Accord R33
          try bleeding them before you go crazy buying parts. there is a good chance its the MC, but it would save you money/time if you just have some air in the lines (perhaps from letting the fluid get low)
          Thats a good idea .. I've actually thought of that .. but the guy at Napa said I wouldnt need to ..

Never Trust the Guy With the Dirty Hands ...
          Tomi

Comment

Are your brakes squealing when you use them?

Comment

Originally posted by Green_92_EX
              Are your brakes squealing when you use them?
              Nope .. my brakes have never squealed!

Originally posted by yeamans17
              definately try bleeding them first, then if that doesnt help i would change probably both the mc and bb at the same time, i believe the bb is not only the vacuum line but its also the big round thing thats on the firewall
              Thanks Zack .. yeah .. "that big round thing" is kina pricey, but I digress .. 250K ..
              Guess its time .. I've always disliked the fact that we're vacuum designed .. owell.

Pump It Up !!!
              Tomi

Comment

I'm 99% sure its the brake master cylinder. Here's an easy test. While your cars on. Just sitting at idle, like at a stop light....put your foot on the break, like you would normally do. If the brake slowly goes down to the floor its the brake master cylinder. Mine went about a month ago, I went to Autozone and got a rebuilt one for 40 bucks. Now I stop on a dime! hehe

Good luck!

Buying Your Tan Interior Parts ( Click Here )
                .::.My Member's Ride Section.::.
                .::._____My Myspace______.::.

Comment

Originally posted by yeamans17
                  mine does this too, but only when its warm, what should i do? i tried bleeding and it doesnt help

edit*
                  by warm i mean that when its hot outside
                  if your not losing any break fluid...its the break master cylinder.

Comment

If the brake booster was failing, the pedal would become very hard to press. If the master cylinder is failing, then the pedal would be easy to press, and would sink to the floor.
                    Gary A.K.A. Carter
                    [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Please take my information into consideration, there is alot of misinformation on this thread. Don't just go replacing parts that are not necessary. I've restored our 5 cb7's brakes and suspension, I know what I'm talking about.

If it was JUST your brake pedal going to the floor, then yes master cylinder. However, since you mention you're loosing brake fluid from the brake master cylinder resorvoir, then you have a brake fluid leak somewhere. I'd check your lines (especially the rubber hose sections), front calipers and rear drums/calipers.

I would not bother replacing the master cylinder until you have found the leak first, as it may be fine. If you find the leak, then fix it. THEN, check again your brakes and if the pedal STILL goes to the floor, then replace the brake master cylinder.

I would think your brake booster to be fine as well, why change it? I haven't had to replace a brake booster on any of our 5 CB7s, including the one that has 302,XXX miles on it!
                      Last edited by HondaFan81; 09-26-2006, 12:21 PM.
                      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                        Please take my information into consideration, there is alot of misinformation on this thread. Don't just go replacing parts that are not necessary. I've restored our 5 cb7's brakes and suspension, I know what I'm talking about.

If it was JUST your brake pedal going to the floor, then yes master cylinder. However, since you mention you're loosing brake fluid from the brake master cylinder resorvoir, then you have a brake fluid leak somewhere. I'd check your lines (especially the rubber hose sections), front calipers and rear drums/calipers.

I would not bother replacing the master cylinder until you have found the leak first, as it may be fine. If you find the leak, then fix it. THEN, check again your brakes and if the pedal STILL goes to the floor, then replace the brake master cylinder.

I would think your brake booster to be fine as well, why change it? I haven't had to replace a brake booster on any of our 5 CB7s, including the one that has 302,XXX miles on it!
                        he didn't say he had a leak....he said it was low, he filled it up and it still was doing the same thing.

Comment

I know what I'm talking about.
                          I am both honored and thrilled .. and to the noobies here? HF81 does know what he's saying!
                          To have had a response in my thread .. trully .. I am bowing .. lol
                          Correct me if I'm wrong HF .. but you're a Honda tech .. (I think)
                          And I do respect and trust your every word .. I've read tons of your threads and posts!

Ok .. thanks .. so far everything under the hood looks fine .. I havent had time today
                          for much else .. I wanna take it to my mech .. and get her up in the air .. easier ..
                          I've checked the level of dot 3 that I used .. and no real significant loss there.
                          If any at all ...

I agree .. hence the wait to see about getting her up there on the racks ..
                          I wanna take a look at the rear wheel slaves .. I just have this feeling ..

Wow !!! I guess they do last quite awhile huh? Like I eluded to earlier tho .. what really is there
                          to go wrong with something that simply houses vacuum ? Unless under extreme pressure ....

Thanks a TON Hondafan81 !!!! And everyone else !!!
                          Tomi

Comment

oh yeah...I also do agree on checking everything before doing it. I bleed the breaks twice..and check the fuel lines as well before replacing the master cylinder. took my about a month before I replaced it. I'm just saying....get ready to replace it

Comment

I told you the correct answer too. Booster failing would make pedal stiff as hell.

Anyways, you can get a master cylinder for $50 new at your local Advance/Kragen/Auto Zone/etc. I replaced mine with one of these back in May, and everything has worked since.
                              Gary A.K.A. Carter
                              [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Working...
                              X