gas gaurge problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas gaurge problem

my gas light comes on when the needle says i have 1/4 tank left.
    how clicks you guys get on a tank?
    how big is our tanks?
    my members ride thread
    check it out if you have time

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ght=92exrcoupe

sounds normal to me. and BTW, our tanks are 17 gallons
    00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

hey there must be something wrong with mine then, I've never seen the my gas light turn on even when I'm perty close to the red?
      Originally posted by rickyduckworth
      i'll do *** things for the OEM trunk lip spoiler

Comment

hey. Mine too! I get the gas light at a quarter tank. I run out of gas ALL THE TIME because my needle NEVER goes below 1/8th tank. LITERALLY, i'll be absolutely OUT of gas, not running, not starting out of gas, and my needle will be between 1/4 and 1/8.

whats up!?
        Noobie my ASS.

Comment

mmmmmm sensor in the gas tank. i am not sure but check the manual. it should be near the gas pomp i belive but dont' quote me on that.
          are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

I saw the light for the first time on thursday. I got mad scared and slowed down to 70 on the highway. When i got to the gas station and filled it up, It only put in 14 gallons .

Comment

Originally posted by Sho Nuff
              I saw the light for the first time on thursday. I got mad scared and slowed down to 70 on the highway. When i got to the gas station and filled it up, It only put in 14 gallons .
              yep, when you get to the little red mark, you should have about 3 gallons still left.
              00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

It's been a few months since my gas gauge started acting up. Myself and the other driver of the car noticed the gauge skip on its way down (look at it, 1/2 full, 5 miles later, it's 1/4 full for example(when the gas tank is being filled, it climbs smoothly)).

I thought it was the fuel sender in the tunk but something happened recently that made me second guess my first conclusion....

The gas tank low indicator on the instrument cluster still works like it's supposed to. The light used to come while the needle was hovering over the E, it's come on now as early as 1/8 full. I've got a picture to prove it.

Has anyone looked into their problem more deeply? Is it likely a gauge mechanism problem or maybe some circuitry that's driving the gauge?
                Last edited by HooRide; 04-27-2004, 02:08 AM.

Comment

I just got back from Honda and talked to a technician. The gas gauge light has a seperate sensor in the gas tank, it is a non-mechanical part (see bellow).

Because the warning light is non-mechanical, when you suspect a faulty gauge, trust the light more than the gauge. As stated above, the light turns on when you have 2.9 gallons remaining.

The second sensor is a thermistor that is cooled by the gas itself, if there isn't enough gas to keep it cool, the resistance changes and turns the light on gradually (the hotter it gets, the brighter the light shines.

The sending unit should have a black wire and a yellow/white wire. When the tank is full, the resistance between the two wires should be under 5 ohms, when the tank is empty, the resistance should be over 105 ohms.

The sending unit is accessible through the trunk under a metal access port held on by 3 screws right behind the right rear seat underneath the carpet.

Comment

I don't know if this pertains to your guys' situation but....

Did you think of how your driving/driving conditions when you're low on gas? Because if you're low, the gas is sloshing around a lot more and the gauge may not read completely correct. Do you take turns/curves really fast (cuz I know I do)? Are you going uphill alot? (Do you ever notice how you seem to have more gas while going downhill than uphill?)

I don't know, just my opinions. Maybe faulty wiring if you don't drive too aggressively.

Comment

Just a note, my dad told me that if you are very low on gas, and you are going uphill, air amy go into the fuel pump and make it faulty. Can anybody verify this, it might be true, and the reason why i may need another one so soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X