Engine is ok, but still strange problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine is ok, but still strange problems

Ok I had believed that my engine had blown its head gasket. Well my uncle who was a mechanic for 30 years did another compression test on it over the weekend and it turns out the motor has excellent compression. It seems that some of the problem was from the hose running from the PCV valve to the intake manifold which had partially collapsed and was causing a strange pressure difference. I cannot confirm this yet, but my uncle claims that on many of these Hondas the PCV valve draws off of the #2 cylinder (the cylinder that was giving me trouble).

Now that I've fixed some of my vacuum hose troubles and such the car runs better, but still after a few minutes of running when I stop at a light or any other place where the car is still for a few minutes it starts running a little rough and when I go to take off I still get a slight sputtering until I hit about 2200rpm or so when it smooths out. It's nothing terrible, but it still isn't right.

Well anyway I tried letting the car idle in the driveway and pulling some plugwires to see what happens. If I pull #1 the car sputters terribly and nearly dies, the same for #3 & #4, but #2 only slightly changes the idle of the motor.

I feel I must also mention that when I removed my intake to change some vacuum lines I noticed that a sort of "sludge" was in the rubber boot my intake slides into on my throttle body. It's like old oil, but there was also water droplets (or something similar to water, not fuel). I looked inside the intake and noticed the same thing, small droplets of some liquid (very small droplets, like mist) and lots of oily residue (not massive amounts, but noticeable).

This crap all started the day I changed three things: plugwires, valve cover gasket, and EGR valve (which turned out to be a busted one too, just like the one it replaced).

My question is, does the EGR valve feed vacuum off of a certain cylinder? Could this be the cause of this? Because before that day the car ran and idled fantastically.
    Last edited by Torqstr; 09-03-2006, 10:24 AM.
    I read somewhere that marijuana effects the memory. For some reason I can't seem remember where I read that. -- max sideburn(aka torqstr)

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

CB7: The Movie TEASER VIDEO

AAAHHH!!! I am completely out of ideas. The motor compression tests well, seemingly ruling out valves, rings, head gasket, etc... Yet I get it home tonight and it starts running like crap again, still when I remove the #2 spark plug wire the idle doesn't change......but I know I'm getting spark, I've checked countless times.

Anyway I'm getting a little bit of smoke out of the tailpipe, light greyish, and when I rev the engine smoke comes out of the valve cover breather hole!! Check out the video.

diy 035.mov

Any ideas???
    I read somewhere that marijuana effects the memory. For some reason I can't seem remember where I read that. -- max sideburn(aka torqstr)

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Torqstr
      AAAHHH!!! I am completely out of ideas. The motor compression tests well, seemingly ruling out valves, rings, head gasket, etc... Yet I get it home tonight and it starts running like crap again, still when I remove the #2 spark plug wire the idle doesn't change......but I know I'm getting spark, I've checked countless times.

Anyway I'm getting a little bit of smoke out of the tailpipe, light greyish, and when I rev the engine smoke comes out of the valve cover breather hole!! Check out the video.

diy 035.mov

Any ideas???

Did your motor suck up water from cold air intake pipe at one time???
      As for the question about the egr valve feeding, it feeds off all the runners for all the ports.....not just off of one specifically.......are u sure #2 cylinder is good....looks like your number 2 cylinder is dead....thats y wen u pull of the plug, it dont change the idle much, cuss its probably leaking already so hence it dont make a differense....as when u pull the other plugs and it give a really rough ready to die idle, thats because hondas can run off of 3 cylinder and still be able to drive......but if #2 is dead, and when u pull 1,3,or 4....then only 2 cylinder running instead of three, then it can not sustain a motor to keep runin smoothly.....this is a great way to check and see if u got compression.... u need a roll of toilet paper.....pull all the spark plug wires, and plugs from all cylinder.....do this 1 cylinder at a time....roll up a ball of toilet paper, and stick it down the spark plug tube....make sure u make it big enough for it to be tight, u want it to fit good and tight....member, just one at a time...once in, crank the motor on.....if its got good compression, that tube stuff with the ball of toilet paper should just pop right up into the sky....hehe....if it dont.....thats your dead cylinder.....tryit, all its gonna cost ya are some time, and some toilet paper.....yah....
      the smoke come out of ur valve cover breather....well, seems like u got compression leaking into the oil system....could be a bad ring, cracked head, no good head gasket.....but its bad enough of a leak to make it come out that much so u can notice it.....so, i really think its the #2 cylinder badd badd .....so like i say stuff toilet paper in there....1 at a time so u can keep track of progreess......allso, to see if your rings are leaking, spray some wd40 or some type of lubricant in the cylinder through the sparkplug hole and see if the compression changes from a smaller one to higher....to do this u will need to put the compression gauge on to check the numbers.....well, hope that help.....
      Last edited by Caution; 09-03-2006, 07:50 PM.

Comment

well my uncle, as I said in the first post was a mechanic for many years and he ran a compression test on the motor and claimed that all 4 cylinders were within 1-2psi of each other and had good pressure.

Another thing that I'm thinking is that perhaps at low RPMs the #2 fuel injector is putting out too much fuel, thereby causing the cylinder not to fire because there is too much gas.

Once I get to higher RPMs the engine seems to run fine and have all of the power that it should, it's only when the RPMs drop below 1000 or so that it begins to run rough and sputters when I give it gas.

If I pull up to a light and the light turns quickly, while my revs are still at say 1100 or so the engine picks right up and the car accelerates fine, but if I have to sit for a while the RPMs will drop slowly to around 700-800 RPM and that's when the car starts to idle roughly, then when I go to take off it sputters until the revs reach 1500RPM or so.

So for some reason I'm getting way too much blowby (oil in valve cover) and #2 cylinder is not firing correctly at low idle.

Comment

Some thoughts

bad dizzy
          bad idle control valve
          bad main relay
          bad fuel pump.

check your idle with the iac disconnected.

are you sure you dont have a vac leak from doing the Gasket?
          did you do the intake manifold gasket as well? Spray carb cleaner all around the gasket areas if the idle starts jumping than you have a bad gasket.

HTH
          No longer working on the cb. To much time and money has been put into it. Check my for sale thread where the whole car will be parted out.

Comment

bad distributor (guess it's possible)
            bad idle control valve (tried unplugging it, no major difference)
            bad main relay (would this really cause ONE cylinder to not fire correctly?)
            bad fuel pump (would this really cause ONE cylinder to not fire correctly?)

as for intake manifold I have checked it countless times and there are no leaks.

Comment

ok I've confirmed one of my theories. I took the car out for a short spin today, it ran pretty good and I noticed almost no smoke from the back, and not too much from the breather.

When I shut it off and then started it back up it stuttered for a while but then quickly stopped that. But one thing I noted today was that the idle never dropped below 1000RPM. So as long as the RPMs stayed up the car seemed to be running fine and on all 4 cylinders. I tried removing the #2 plugwire and the car nearly stalled, just like the other cylinders. So I'm starting to wonder if it's not maybe my Air Boost Valve or something else to do with the idle.

Comment

this is really weird...so you've checked the timing right?
                no increase of oil or coolant? (possible mixing from a bad headgasket)

i know that when my TDC marks and shit from my timing belt being off, my car didnt idle right, no power below 1500 rpms, smoked a lot and stuff.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

yeah I've checked nearly everything on the car and I'm stumped. I am getting coolant comming into my valve cover somehow, but only when the car is hot. Yet I still have no oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil.

Comment

Working...
                  X