how to tell if wheel bearings bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to tell if wheel bearings bad?

Is there anyway to tell if the wheel bearings are going bad?

I had a shop tell me they were, but they screwed up my car, so I really dont trust them right now.

dose it make a noise on the highway when you change lanes to one side. Thats the only way I know how to tell

Comment

Your car will start to hum loudly.

Then after a while burst into flames.

Comment

noises like the brake are all fucked up. that is one sine. when u brake it will sound that u don't have brakes at all. u only going to hear fucked up noises. in the worst off all cases ur car will get stuck and u won't be able to move. u will think that is transmision. (happen to a friend of mine lol)
        but if it don't make any noises when u drive or when u brake then u are ok.
        if u check the rotors by hand u will see that the rotors have been grinded a lil bit. that is how we all have them.
        if the car don't make any wirde noises or don't have problem with the braking then u ok.
        u can always change them if u are worried about it. it's not a lot of work. that would give u a chance to get the sportive looking ones with "20% faster cooling"
        good luck
        are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

yea pretty much..

Originally posted by alb_accord
          noises like the brake are all fucked up. that is one sine. when u brake it will sound that u don't have brakes at all. u only going to hear fucked up noises. in the worst off all cases ur car will get stuck and u won't be able to move. u will think that is transmision. (happen to a friend of mine lol)
          but if it don't make any noises when u drive or when u brake then u are ok.
          if u check the rotors by hand u will see that the rotors have been grinded a lil bit. that is how we all have them.
          if the car don't make any wirde noises or don't have problem with the braking then u ok.
          u can always change them if u are worried about it. it's not a lot of work. that would give u a chance to get the sportive looking ones with "20% faster cooling"
          good luck
          also the wheel when off the grond will be rather loose and wobbly.
          SURVIVAL OF THE FIT ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE.....

Comment

like he said.. check the wheel with it off the ground. A little side to side is going to be normal because of the steering assembly, but grab the wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock and wiggle it, just a little bit. you should have minimal movement.

My Cardomain

Current Score: Cops - IV Me - V
            Quote of the moment: "The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them."
            Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
            Simulation Racing Thread i.e. PC, PS2 & XBOX

Comment

Alright, thanks for the info guys. I will try that next time I a home.

I trust you guys a lot more then this shop. Carquest told me the wheel bearings were 50 bucks a piece. The shop I had my car at told me 94 bucks a wheel bearing and 133 per wheel for labor. So that is 454 bucks to do the wheel bearings! What a freakin rip

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
              X