Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine tapping...

Yeah...

Just yesterday I started noticing a tapping comming from the engine whenever I start the car and when I accelerate. Not just a low quiet tapping. It's more of a semi loud tap tap tap that gets faster with higher RPM's. Me thinks it may be a busted something or other in the engine but I can't be sure. All I know is the RPM's are a teeny bit lower then usual and there's not a lot of power. Might take it to a mechanic today but I'd like to know if you guys knew what it could be. Thanks...

Might be your motor mounts,detonation,messed up cylinders. check your mounts first though.

Comment

check mounts though.

but im thinking valve adjustment is needed.
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

check the oil man. sounds like you got some friction going on that you shouldn't have.

My Cardomain

Current Score: Cops - IV Me - V
        Quote of the moment: "The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them."
        Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
        Simulation Racing Thread i.e. PC, PS2 & XBOX

Comment

yup valves too may need adjustment like he said.

Comment

valve adjustment first...then check other things later.
            Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

and pray its not detonation while your at it...doesnt really sound like it is but still pray.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

If it's something unholy like detonation would it be very noticeable like lack of power or heavy vibration? It's still got the same get up and go although I'm scurd to push it. It idles a teeny bit lower than usual but not a whole lot. I'm getting my mechanic bud to look at it so I just wanted to make sure I give him somewhere to start looking. Thanks a lot you guys/gals...

Comment

detonation isn't going to be as loud as he is discribing it to be. Even so, if it is detonating, the knock sensor should immediately pick up on it and the ECU retards the timing.
                  00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

It's pretty loud now that I rode with the stereo off, duh me. Anyways, it also makes that sound when I start the car and accelerate, otherwise you don't even know it's there. I'll find out soon enough what the problem is. I just hope it's nothing overly serious...

Comment

Yup you most certainly have valvetap time for a readjustment.

Comment

I know I'm getting repetitive, but would this problem have come from bottoming out? I think that it may have caused it but again I am not mechanically inclined. As I was pulling out last night from my step moms driveway I bottomed on the curb and the next day I noticed it...

Comment

No not that ive heard off ANd your speakin to an expert who bottomed out quite awhile. nah i think i think it just goes out of adjustment how many miles?

Comment

Heh, I hear you. Anyways, it's got a nicely sum of 187,300K on it. I was hoping that it also didn't stem from a dented oil pan problem. I GREATLY appreciate your input as well...

Comment

Dont mention it cb7's live forever dude just make sure you take car of it

Comment

Working...
                              X