What the hell is wrong with my car!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the hell is wrong with my car!?!

The ol' CB is really pissing me off...or the fact that i dont whats wrong is pissing me off. Hell, nobody knows whats wrong. Ive had 3 or 4 mechs at the local shop look and they all say diff things. 1) coolant temp sensor. 2)rad/fan. 3)possible coolant leak/headgasket

Heres what happens, in the best detail i can describe......

Its outside. I drove it about 5 or 6 hours ago, just here in town, so it should be cold/cool. I get in, start it up. starts as usual-rough/sputter, then evens out and idles fine. Drops to 850rpm, i take off. Driving normal to the gas station up the street. Get there, temps fine. Park it(i stay insie with the engine running). The gf goes inside. After about 4-6mins of running the temp needle starts to slowly rise, eventually getting to the space between the white line and the amber line of the H side of the gauge. >Lately, my fans have been coming on< ..this time, they dont. Okay. We leave, i take a long road where i can get up to like 40+ to get some air flowing/cool it down. Nothing. Stays Hot. I keep driving, needle comes down a bit, but soon as i stop to turn around, shoots right back up. I say screw it and head home(mind you from the gas station through this drive and back to my house has taken 5 minutes tops.) I get home, park it, turn it off. Lately, the fans have been coming on to cool it down once i turn it off, but this time, nothing.
    That was 10 minutes ago and they still havent come on. I havent replaced the temp sensor yet, and the pressure test showed nothing on the headgasket/leak, but they didnt get to test it cold(which i think ill need to do) but when i park it for long periods of time, i can see it leaking a small amount of green fluid(coolant) on the ground. Its only about a tablespoon or so each time. Its leaking from under/behind the driverside tire, almost like its leaking right off the firewall.....AGH!!! I hate not knowing what it is and i can just feel the time running out before it breaks down or i blow a headgasket/crack the block...theres been a few threads on fans not working and everything, but this is different. If anyone knows or has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

I remember when mine did that...HG was fucked. Ran without a t-stat, pressure tested it and it still got hot. Couldnt think of anything else I know the fan switch and temp switch werent bad so yea basically I purchased a new engine and now my a6 is chillin at my buddies shop since I got no storage at my house. Oh yea this was driving back from Waco to Dallas I barely got out of Waco and yea my engine started to get hot...Stopped looked around nothing kept on truckin got hot turnedo n the heater and kept the car moving but once I got into city it started goin up again so yea. When I got into Dallas pulled into a mcdonalds let the car cool down and wallah my radiator had no fluid lol and I filled it before I left Waco..No visible leaks or anything but there was some stuff drippin behind my passenger side axle and it was greenish and yea lol filled it up drove it home and it was fine wierd aint it. But all my coolant was pumpin into my overflow tank so yea.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

If it is the HG what do ya think is the best bet? Normally i would just replace it and go about my bidness, but it might be worth it to replace the entire head while im at it. Ugh...I dunno..

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.

Comment

Well you can resurface it and install the hg if you want you can replace the head or just get a nice valve job/upgrade valvetrain if you feel like doing that.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

upgrade valve train
          1990 CB7 *RIP*

Current-91 EX and 92 EX

Comment

If it is leaking around the drivers side tire, it is also possible it is the waterpump. When the seals start to go, there is a "weephole" on the waterpump which will leak fluid out.

If you are going to do the headgasket, do the waterpump, too.
            I am the wrath of the server you curse and the demon of the directory you cry about - making life hell for users, one deleted file at a time.

Comment

I know mine wasnt my watepump lol Jacked it up no white spots or traces of coolant. Plus timing was replaced about 30000 miles before it happened so I highly doubt it. If it was the water pump then I woulda found out a long time ago.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

If im parked on a level surface, like in the parking lot of work, when i came out to my car when i got off, i could see a wet spot on the ground about as big around as a plate. it wasnt a puddle, just a spot on the ground. I touched it and smelled it and it smelled like coolant. It was hard to tell what color it was since it was dark and it was on the pavement, but it was coolant. Lately it hasnt done it, and thats what worries me right now. Im broke until further notice so im just gonna have to check my flui levels and keep them up til i can get it fixed. I know thats not the best idea, but i never get over 40 going to work and it doesnt take me but a few minutes to get there so going to work i should be fine. I'm gonna do my best to check everything out myself without breaking anything or making it worse. But i'll definitely have it all checked out, the tsat, waterpump, timing belt, and HG. Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

you might want to check the hoses that lead to you fast idle valve...its on the drivers side and close to the firewall so that might be it too...one of the small hoses blew and caused my car to overheat...you might have a small leak there

Originally posted by fizzbob7
                  first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
                  Originally posted by ACC0RD22
                  no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
                  So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

Working...
                  X