belt noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

belt noise

sometimes under a load my car's serpetine belts make a really annoying squeeling sound. I've traced it down to the belts being dirty, but what's a good way to clean them? I've heard of holding a wire brush on it while the car's running, but there's not much room to get in there.
    91 accord lx, ebay intake, koni rsk kit, 17's, clear corners, red clear tails, and a type r lip when I'm not in Pullman

your belts old and cracked? i held a shop rag on mine and it got a lot of grime off,but mine squeeks because there old.

Comment

I don't know how old, but they're not cracked at all
      91 accord lx, ebay intake, koni rsk kit, 17's, clear corners, red clear tails, and a type r lip when I'm not in Pullman

Comment

are they to tight?to loose?

Comment

seem just fine, just too dirty
          when I got the car the whole engine compartment was covered in dirt, well except the intake. That was shiny as ever...hahaha

Comment

dont use wire brush,just take your fingerand wrap a shop rag around it and push on the belts whil its started until no dirt comes off thats what i did.but even if the topsare dirty that wont make them squeek its the bottoms that get dirty,in that case bring it to the car wash and with the car running sprat the pulleys and the belts until there clean,just cover electrical things.and your good to go.

Comment

when the car is off just put running water on them with some car soap or something...

is it a constant squeek or a pulsy squeek...does it go faster when u drive etc?
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

why not just replace the belts ? there are belts like $10 a piece

Comment

they are for serpentine? most serpentine belts are quite a bit more expensive, but I guess I haven't priced honda ones just because I expected them to be like all the others.

Comment

oh and ya it's pulsy. It only does it sometimes and it only does it when it's under a load.

Comment

Belts are probably too loose. BTW....what kind of car?
                      00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

how hard is it to replace the belts?just the ones near the alternator and timing belt cover?i would buy some and raplace them because mine are cracked and they squeek loud and they squeek faster as i go.they stop above 300 rpm.but how hard is it to replace them and have them adjusted right etc?thanks.

Comment

91 accord lx with a 5 speed. intake and a tip, but not the whole exhaust on 17's and just put in an rsk kit. I'll do the rest of the exhaust before too long and tint the windows, but I'm not going to do much else. It's goin in for an alignment friday and then I'm gettin new front tires tuesday when they come in and then I'm just gonna drive...

Comment

Well, first off, CB7's don't have a serpintine belt, they are individual. Secondly, if your drive belts are worn, chances are, the timing belt probably is in similar condition. I always do everything as a package; t-belt, countershaft belt, waterpump, oil seals, as well as the drive belts. Over and done with.
                            00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

timing belt wasn't changed that long ago, or at least that's what the guy I bought it from said. The car has got like 150,000 miles on it.
                              Last edited by biggy7213; 04-08-2004, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X