Now another problem, car won't start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now another problem, car won't start!

Ok I went through so much crap so far. When I first got the car a couple of weeks ago it would start right up, but then quickly die out unless you were giving it gas. Well after going through TONS of trouble I had finally gotten it to where it would stay idling, although it would bounce up and down some.

Well here's what I did yesterday:

Changed my driver's side CV axle

Installed aftermarket intake (very simple item, don't see how this could be the problem)

Installed header and downpipe (my old pipe is getting thrown away, car currently is running with just header and downpipe)

I also plugged this back up

Lastly I installed some new grounds, and I had removed this bolt completely to secure a ground there. Hopefully I didn't somehow mess up something terribly with the distributor by doing that.

So what would you think the most likely cause of this is? It spins over just fine, and occassionaly will start up, but 9 out of 10 times it just keeps spinning over and it wasn't doing this until yesterday. My best guess is that it's flooding itself out or something.
    Last edited by Torqstr; 07-28-2006, 05:17 PM.
    I read somewhere that marijuana effects the memory. For some reason I can't seem remember where I read that. -- max sideburn(aka torqstr)

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

CB7: The Movie TEASER VIDEO

it's probably your main relay acting up. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

if it was a "main relay" wouldn't I just be getting nothing at all? Like no power to spin the engine over?
      I read somewhere that marijuana effects the memory. For some reason I can't seem remember where I read that. -- max sideburn(aka torqstr)

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

It would do exactly whats it's doing. Turning over and not starting. Also check your distributor cap and rotor button for corrosion or damage and replace if needed.

Comment

is there anyway to really check the main relay, because I don't think that's what it is.

Sometimes it starts and sputters out immediately, then it won't start back up, it's like the car is flooding itself out. Because if I wait 10 minutes then the car starts up just fine.

Comment

Yes I agree, sounds like the main relay. Those things you did dont sound like

the problem at all. That bolt next to the distributor isnt your problem. My 91

did the same thing, wuz the main relay. Change it and see what happens, its

probably sputtering out cuz its running out of gas not cuz its flooding
            Last edited by cb7dazz; 07-27-2006, 07:39 PM.

Comment

running out of gas? it's got a half tank

Comment

can anyone identify this please?

Comment

someone, please. I would really like to know what that thing is.

Comment

Originally posted by Torqstr
                    running out of gas? it's got a half tank
                    I meant running out of gas because the main relay is cutting out the fuel pump not because you dont have any gas in the tank

Comment

Main relay sends fuel to the rail via the fuel pump. No fuel in the rail but you have spark - no fire. Have you tested for spark yet?

The New-ish Ride
                      My old Ride
                      Hear my Vtak!!!
                      MK3 Member #3
                      I piss off people for fun.
                      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I got the car running again. And now I'm working on my erratic idle problem again.

Can someone please identify what this thing is and what it does? It's currently not plugged up and I'd like to know what it is please.

Comment

Loop it on that screw like the other one. Looks like thats where its suppose to go.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          I piss off people for fun.
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

that looks like just another ground. i think they musta used 2 since the wires are so small. either connect that one to where the other one is, or get rid of them and get a bigger gauge wire.

my car wouldnt start once after i took my battery out then reintsalled it and forgot to connect that ground. well, it would start, but then stall out like yours does.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

ROFL!

No, not the ground wire! The little black box with the plug and vacuum hoses going to it next to the battery. What is it?

Comment

Working...
                              X