Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High idle, AT won't shift out of P, 92 EX...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High idle, AT won't shift out of P, 92 EX...

This is what happened today just out of the blue. The idle was about 1500 for some reason. When I put it in N, it was a "hard" shift/clunk type deal. When I took it from N to D, it was also a hard type "shift" (it is an automatic). Probably due to the higher idle I guess. Even when I turned the AC on, the idle was still slightly high-- 1000 maybe. Of course I had to really step on the brakes at a stoplight or else I was creeping forward. Never done this before today.

Then, I was at the security keypad at the storage gate. I put it in P to enter my code and I could NOT get it out of Park!! WTF? This has never happened. No matter how hard I was on the brake or how hard I pushed the shifter button, it's like the key was out of the car. I shut the car off, used the key in the little "shifter override" slot and moved it to neutral. Started the car in N and it shifted fine. I don't know if these 2 things are related, but I have never had any problems with my car. It is a champ with 102K. Very odd... I was putting it in storage for awhile anyway, maybe it just didn't want to go.

Look for a vacuum leak maybe for the high idle. I think the neutral safety switch sometimes does that if it goes bad if I remember correctly. Check your brake switch? That can sometimes cause you not to be able to get out of gear.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
    X