Another Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Question

I recently had my clutch installed at a local shop. But this weekend was the first weekend I could actually put some miles on the clutch. When I got the car back, they said the wheel bearings need to be replaced along with the upper ball joints.

Now when I drive my car, while going around a corner, I can hear a popping noise. Usually it just "pops" just once while turning.

I wonder if they did something to my car to make some extra cash off of me because I have never heard this popping noise until the car was brought back from the repair shop.

You guys have any thoughts before i go tearing into my front end?

popping noise? Or clicking? if its poping noise i have no idea but if its clicking its ur cv joint

Comment

LOL...good call

Then may be they were right about the upperball joints. Anyone know how hard it is to replace those?

Comment

Negative. You can remove the upper control arm assembly and take it, along with a new ball joint, to a shop and they can install it in less than a minute. If you don't have a press or specific ball joint tool (read: not a separator), then don't attempt it.

The popping noise is caused by your lower ball joint(s). When the shop replaced the clutch, they had to pull your axles and that meant separating the ball joint. When you're playing with ball joints and you don't know what you're doing, it's easy to damage them. Chances are that the ball joints were damaged during the install.

You can't prove they weren't damaged before so they're telling you that you need new ones because yours are worn out. I'm not surprised. It's a good thing that ball joints from Honda are cheap and you can usually coerce a shop into installing them for you, if you bring them the assembly, for under $20.

Comment

Re: Another Question

Originally posted by do0dfromcali
          I recently had my clutch installed at a local shop. But this weekend was the first weekend I could actually put some miles on the clutch. When I got the car back, they said the wheel bearings need to be replaced along with the upper ball joints.

Now when I drive my car, while going around a corner, I can hear a popping noise. Usually it just "pops" just once while turning.

I wonder if they did something to my car to make some extra cash off of me because I have never heard this popping noise until the car was brought back from the repair shop.

You guys have any thoughts before i go tearing into my front end?
          It is maybe urr swap bar link bolt may have been tampered with.
          that would be my guess other than that look on the bright side...
          it aint my car (sorry that didn't help)
          <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

The popping noise is caused by your lower ball joint(s). When the shop replaced the clutch, they had to pull your axles and that meant separating the ball joint. When you're playing with ball joints and you don't know what you're doing, it's easy to damage them. Chances are that the ball joints were damaged during the install.
            Good call. Today i was able to get the front end up in the air and get a chance to look under the car. I noticed that the passenger side lower ball joint is completly gone. Which would explain the popping noise while making only left hand turns.

I think I am going to order the complete front end bushing set from www.planetperformance.com and replace all the bushings. I will probably bring it to my old autos teacher and have him help me out.

I appreciate all the help and info on this guys. Nice to know people are willing to help. I think if I replace all the bushings and swap my suspension out, I should have a nice riding car.

Unlike the *** ass remark of "at least its not my car"

Comment

Also...

Since I am gonna have everything pulled apart, should I have the wheel bearings swapped? The shop that installed the clutch recommended it

What would be signs that the wheel bearings should be replaced?

Comment

Working...
              X