Master Mechanics vote for 3,000-mile oil change interval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like this post from that article:

7. I believe Consumer Reports (I think?) did a study / test a few years back on this topic. Now generally speaking, when it comes to cars, Consumer Reports isn't even on my "read" list (with the exception of reliability ratings), but in this particular case, their methodology was sound. They tested something like 100 new New York City taxi cabs, which have about the fiercest operational profile you could generate this side of tracking a car, and changed the oil every 3,000 miles on a 1/3 of them, every 6,000 miles on a 1/3 of them, and every 7,500 miles on another 1/3 of them. Then, at 100,000 miles the pulled the engines for overhaul on all 100 vehicles and took measurment calipers to all of the vital dimenstions to examine wear and tear. Bottom line was that there was no difference in wear and tear between the 3,000 mile interval engines and the 7,5000 mile engines. To me, that was a pretty solid approach. I'm sure there are others who would disagree or have other things that should have been checked. My two cents.

-sounds decent to me although I bet there was still a bit more sludge and a bit less milage in those changed less often. Either way, Since I've only had my car 2 yrs/40k miles I started every 3k with regular and then switching regular/synthetic and still going only MAYBe 5k since it's SO hot here in the summer. Don't burn any oil so may start going a bit longer if it's not in the 90-106degree (<-- todays' high here!) range.
    My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment

and you guys do relise just because the oil is dark doesnt mean its bad

My Members Ride Page

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthman80
        and you guys do relise just because the oil is dark doesnt mean its bad
        and just because it's light doesn't mean it's good. You have to check the oil against a rag to though. Cause on the stick dark and still ok may look the same as dark and thick and burnt like old coffee lol. Somewhat dark on a stick wiped on a paper towel and it can still look rather clear. But everyone knows that rag trick I hope...
        My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment

just adding to an aging thread.
          I don't really know what I did on my old prelude, but I beileved it averaged 6k+ miles between changes, always with 10w30 as far as I know. Didn't know much about cars back then, and never kept track of it.
          The CB7 gets a change when the maintanence "light" turns red. So about 7,500 miles. I generally use Pennzoil 10-30 syn (was cheap at home depot), and a little Shell RotellaT syn 5-40. Also no oil added between, never needs it.
          The manual says 7,500 miles for older dino oils, so I figure a newer syn should do it just fine, espesially with a lot of highways miles.
          Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

You maybe able to get away with changing your oil and filter later depending on which oil you use, the oil filter size (usually a larger one) and your driving style. For my Merc which holds 8qts I'm suppose to have it changed every 12k miles or a year. My warranty lasts a while so no biggie. My BM is about the same thing and I plan to change the oil in my Integra (4qts) every 5k.

Comment

i dont know if this helps but since i worked at the airport for a while i got to speak with quite a few pilots and i was told that planes use sythetic oil just like the one we use. it is never changed, just added to compensate for the burned oil. only during a full engine service everything is drained and refilled with fresh oil. he said in a car you could technically change it every 15-20K miles and be fine. changing the filter more ofteb i guess would help. just my .02c
              The CB9 has been reborn into a CB3
              Members Ride - see my cb3 here - DOHC powah
              Check out my JDM F22B swap
              Watch my CB7 video

Comment

Oil change every 7,500 miles according to the manual, except under extreme conditions. Extreme conditions you ask? Unless you pull right out from your driveway to a highway, and don't have to stop once, you drive in "extreme conditions." I change mine every 2,500-3,000 (I have crates of 10w-30 sitting around, gotta do something when I'm bored, eh?) Just my 2¢.
                Originally posted by sweet91accord
                if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate
                  Unless you pull right out from your driveway to a highway, and don't have to stop once, you drive in "extreme conditions." .
                  Which is basicly what planes do...they don't have traffic!
                  2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
                  Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
                  1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Working...
                  X