Cat delete and E-cutout systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cat delete and E-cutout systems

When I got my JDM h22 swap, I retained the factory Accord exhaust. I didn't have a aftermarket header to bolt into place, so the JDM flange at the end of the lower header had to be cut off and re-welded and extended to fit the accord exhaust. I was wondering for those that run a straight pipe, Which one did you opt for? I see many different versions on e-bay in size,length,no-O2 bung etc. Did you buy one for a prelude v-tec or did the accord one bolt into place without any issues?

My 2nd question is: How does this effect gas? I've read several topics on gas saving techniques and one of the things mentioned was having a fresh O2 sensor and a working catalytic converter......

Does a straight pipe increase gas mileage because it's "free flowing" or does it effect gas mileage because it doesn't trap the bad stuff and make the O2 sensor work like crazy? My friend killed 2 O2 sensors already on his Type-R hatch and he has a cat-delete with a o2 sensor installed....this was before it was tuned tho. My friend is runninig a Apexi Power FC and recently got it tuned by XS engineering in LA and most of his emissions equipment got deleted in the process.

Would it be better to get one with no-O2 bung and get a chipped ecu that doesn't look for o2?? Or just get a o2 bung equipped one so the ecu won't throw any codes for a missing o2 sensor...

I have a magnaflow hi-flo cat....but I know it's shot and lately my gas is crappier than usual. I'm opting to buy a new Denso o2 sensor and i'm in the market for a straight pipe to see how it feels. $30bucks shipped for one off e-bay I figured I waste on stupid things on fast food etc. so why not have something that will last.

I still have my old catalytic converter shields and was going to have a buddy of mine weld the shields over the catalytic conveter to make it look legit just in case I get pulled over..... Either that or just punch out the catalytic converter I have now, but I'd rather not.

Another thing I was looking into is a E-cutout. I was thinking either running this as the straight pipe or having the cutout unit welded into a cheap ebay 4-2-1 header where the header "1" section comes in.

Has anyone had any issues with these things? The exhaust system can get REALLY hot and I never found an article of those E-cutout motor system failing.....but it would suck to have that motor all of a sudden stop working on you at the wrong time.

Non o2 sensor version

O2 sensor bung equipped version.... pointless?

And for you search ninjas, I know how to use the search button but no topics came up leading to my specific questions and ideas.

Lemme know your honest opinions on these systems and if it was really worth it.
    Last edited by Kurobei; 07-17-2006, 08:37 AM.
    I need a custom turbo manifold built....
    707 NorCal NinjaZ

Honda Twincam Motorwerkz?
    "I am the Yakuza CB7!"
    '92 Accord Sedan SiR

i bought one of dem "racing pipes"..all it is is a resonator tube..every exhaust shop i went to(in Missouri) turned me down everytime..said it wasnt legal...pfft.."..just shut up and do what i pay you to do.." lol

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .ˇ ` ' / ˇ. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc
      i bought one of dem "racing pipes"..all it is is a resonator tube..every exhaust shop i went to(in Missouri) turned me down everytime..said it wasnt legal...pfft.."..just shut up and do what i pay you to do.." lol
      Yeah thats why I want to weld on my old catalytic converter shields over it to make it look semi legit. I know it won't pass the sniffer clean, but we have HWY patrol officers and cops in the area that know what to look for. One of my buddies was unlucky and got a heavy fix-it ticket for running one. His didn't look like the newer versions that that "look" like a catalytic converter tho. His was just a straight pipe.
      707 NorCal NinjaZ

"I am the Yakuza CB7!"
      '92 Accord Sedan SiR

Comment

why not go racing cat-conv? theres a company that makes em..their logo looks like the ferrari horse..i cant think of the name..but if you get busted, youll have to fix it anyway...

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .ˇ ` ' / ˇ. | click here.

Comment

Id buy a couple of resonators since if your going to run straight pipe its going to be louder and a bit more raspy. The prancing horse you talkin bout pace setter? As for the header I bought an aftermarket one for a 4th gen VTEC lude. Shouldnt be throwing any CEL's since we run only one o2 also. We dont run 2. So basically if its after the o2 its basically fine. If you want to place an E cutout on your car place it after the o2 sensor. Anything before or if you have had an exhaust leak before the o2 your car will run like shit and uber rich. Thats what happened to mine when the flange on my header ripped off.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

why dont you get a real cat? magnaflow and catco make some good ones(both on ebay).

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc
              why not go racing cat-conv? theres a company that makes em..their logo looks like the ferrari horse..i cant think of the name..but if you get busted, youll have to fix it anyway...
              Yeah I know what company you are talking about, they sell that brand at Pepboys. The pictures I posted pictures of above, are racing catalytic converters.... i was under the impression that test pipes and these were basically the same thing. A test pipe looks like the pic below that takes the place of a real catalytic converter and doesn't really trap carbons. A racing cat gives the apperance of a catalytic converter...but does the same exact thing.

This is the obvious test pipe....looks just like a pipe with just two flanges welded to it.

I just wanted to know whether I should get one made for a prelude or a accord since my jdm lower header flange had to be modified to fit the accord exhaust.
              707 NorCal NinjaZ

"I am the Yakuza CB7!"
              '92 Accord Sedan SiR

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                Id buy a couple of resonators since if your going to run straight pipe its going to be louder and a bit more raspy. The prancing horse you talkin bout pace setter? As for the header I bought an aftermarket one for a 4th gen VTEC lude. Shouldnt be throwing any CEL's since we run only one o2 also. We dont run 2. So basically if its after the o2 its basically fine. If you want to place an E cutout on your car place it after the o2 sensor. Anything before or if you have had an exhaust leak before the o2 your car will run like shit and uber rich. Thats what happened to mine when the flange on my header ripped off.
                My friend with the Type-R hatch is running one of these with just a stock type-r exhaust. It doesn't sound raspy at all and made the car sound a little more deep....but then again it's a 1.8 liter. It may sound different on my car but I have a stockish sounding Apexi WS.

As for the E-cutout, I thought it had to be before the catalytic converter to eliminate restriction? thus giving the "open header effect" Would it be better then just to have a custom straight pipe or racing cat with o2 with this custom welded onto that then?
                707 NorCal NinjaZ

"I am the Yakuza CB7!"
                '92 Accord Sedan SiR

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
                  why dont you get a real cat? magnaflow and catco make some good ones(both on ebay).
                  I have a magnaflow hi-flow cat right now.... personally I think it sucks because I'm on my second one and I don't feel like spending 279 for something like random technologies hi-flow cat. I heard good things about catco but personally I just want to try these $30 wonders out.

My jdm engine runs super rich stock and it gives me trouble every 2 years when I have to smog it. I almost opted for a SRT-4 cat since I've read this is really restrictive and can get any dirty jdm engine to run clean in the sniffer, but then again the price of that oem part + the labor of having that bigger catalytic converter custom fitted to my exhaust threw that idea off. My local midas wanted to charge me $283 out the door when I probably get full custom crush bent 2.5 piping for that price.....which I still need to do since I have a exhaust leak.

When smog comes around again, then I will buy another catalytic converter and then take it off afterwards and run this pipe.

I appreciate all your guys info!
                  Last edited by Kurobei; 07-17-2006, 09:58 AM.
                  707 NorCal NinjaZ

"I am the Yakuza CB7!"
                  '92 Accord Sedan SiR

Comment

why keep frankensteining it..just get the legal, most street performance part you can and leave it...?
                    If we all had our way, and the laws didnt exist, we'd have straight pipe from the headers back..no B.S....

Comment

I'm running a straight exhaust now w/no cat...but...we "have a guy" up here...

If you wanna run a car w/o a cat, you just gotta find someone that will pass you...

Originally posted by lordoja
                      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

x2

Comment

I prefer to bypass muffler shops and weld my own ish, so I authorize myself to run whatever the fuck type of setup I want..... it's ALL legal. Bahahaha!!!

Mine is still stock for now, eh.....
                          1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Kurobei
                            As for the E-cutout, I thought it had to be before the catalytic converter to eliminate restriction? thus giving the "open header effect" Would it be better then just to have a custom straight pipe or racing cat with o2 with this custom welded onto that then?
                            You can do it like that as long as its after the o2 sensor. This is going on your accord right? Assuming your o2 is on the dp just mount it aft and then before the cat in that bit of space. That solves it and will give you that open header effect.

The New-ish Ride
                            My old Ride
                            Hear my Vtak!!!
                            MK3 Member #3
                            I piss off people for fun.
                            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by Kurobei
                              I have a magnaflow hi-flow cat right now.... personally I think it sucks because I'm on my second one and I don't feel like spending 279 for something like random technologies hi-flow cat. I heard good things about catco but personally I just want to try these $30 wonders out.
                              I had a Catco cat connected to a Ceramic DC Sports and it broke 10 months after installation. So don't know if they really good as U heard.

Na Lobi Bien Mua Café Mua Café Oyo Na Meli Elingi Ko Bima. J'aime les Madesu ya Mpembe que du Poulet!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X